Discuss think it's time to call it a day in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I know of a neighbour who went into a state of depression after retirement

He couldn't hack the idea of being an important cog in an organisation to sitting on the scrap heap as he seen it.

This is such a common thing around here that that have started setting up "Men's Sheds"

He wasn't important as the organisation carried on without him, its a misconception that a lot of people make, he should of had hobbies that would have filled his time in retirement, women always fair much better then men.

I haven't worked for two years through choice, well dons a project sorting out the next big build, but my hobby is winding certain members up on here, you know who you are ;o)))))))

Sounds like you had a right grueller of a weekend Tel . Hey but you came through it with good humour .I know Jim morrison of the doors is a bit of a hero of yours ,but tbh he was a sprinter . You are the ultimate marathon man. Keep keeping on Tel.

He wasn't important as the organisation carried on without him, its a misconception that a lot of people make, he should of had hobbies that would have filled his time in retirement, women always fair much better then men.

I haven't worked for two years through choice, well dons a project sorting out the next big build, but my hobby is winding certain members up on here, you know who you are ;o)))))))
Sadly, as if to prove my point.

A 70 year old man from my locality committed suicide last night.

He couldn't adopt to retirement, he actually came out of retirement for a while. He left behind his wife and family.

He was the brother of a famous NI goalkeeper.

You are right SWD, but unfortunately some people just can't cope.

There’s no doubting that if you do this job right then you graft. Anyone who has an easy time of it and is SE has obviously got a trick up their sleeve.
I’ve had some hard graft days of late mostly because my two update/ rewires were from surface mount to chased - every accessory.
As long as I can shower and sleep at night, that’s my recharge.
Keep going Tel but do what you want to do, pass on the rest to someone you feel deserves it.
Enjoy your well earned warm ale at the end of the day (not mid afternoon)!

Last edited:

He couldn't adopt to retirement, he actually came out of retirement for a while. He left behind his wife and family.

I cope with retirement very well thank you, it's all about your state of mind, and your Pension.

I cope with retirement very well thank you, it's all about your state of mind, and your Pension.

Thats sad, but you need to make plans, have hobbies and things to do, my old Lotus mechanic couldn't wait as he got himself an allotment.

I also worked at LUL for a while and they had a health centre that would advise and help you when you came up for retirement to make the transition easier.

Its like when my kids have kids I am moving 200 miles away f3ck looking after the little sh1tes I see how miserable these grand parents are nowadays ;o)))))

A lot of married graters I've known have snuffed it not long into their retirement. I dread having to spend a moment longer than necessary getting nagged but dying to get away from it seems a little extreme.

thethought of having a lie in and getting up at 09.30 to the jeremy kyle show just makes carrying on working so much more attractive.

Reply to think it's time to call it a day in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net