Discuss Thinking of a shell conversion of my loft. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

The Ghost

Hi just thought I would throw this out here into the forum. I am going to convert my loft and wonder if anyone has any tips, expertise or resources that may help. You never know who can do what on this forum. I live in a 30s' terraced house with a 38 degree pitch and 3m at the ridge so plenty of room. I intend to get a shell conversion. So structural calcs and Building regs are taken care of and any other things I can't do like Velux windows. The plumbing, carpentry (like stairbuilding), electrics plastering will all be done by me. Bear in mind I am in Bristol. I am trying to do this as inexpensively as possible.

You may need planning permission or Building control, not sure if it will come under permitted development so you may need to check. Why not just build a proper loft conversion?

The ceilings of rooms underneath will need to be boarded out with fire rated plaster board if they aren't already I seem to believe. Started looking into doing the same myself but never got very far with it.

all plaster board is fire rated. If you have the minimum 12.5m boards then that will give you a half hour, which should be sufficient. If your ceilings are lathe and plaster then building control may require more. The main concern will be means of escape. So get your staircase and fire detection signed off before any work on that begins.

If you do need to involve building control remember kingswood is south gloucestershire and not bristol. I have dealt with a few people who sent documents and forms for planning and regs purposes to bristol council offices by mistake and it slows it down whilst waiting for them to be sent back to resend to the correct council

Staircase requires building control plus you may need to add door for fire regs. Remember smoke detection. Do you still have a chimney? Is it lined as don’t want to have any issues. Where there are bends believe they need inspection hatches for safety checks think it’s a requirement worth checking.

Currently doing a loft conversion on my house. I had an artitecht draw up plans and then it passed to structure engineer to add his bit and then they got submitted to building control. Only needed a building warrant for one single room with stairs and velux windows.

That is what I am planning to do.
Ah you mentioned shell conversion, my mistake.

Also check to see any of your neighbours have done a similar loft conversion then do a search on their address on the local councils planning portal and download the drawings and the application as it may be useful to you.

You can have a Dormer to the rear not the front , Means of escape 900mm to base of velux or steps from floor to this dim & Velux needs to be top hung. Fire door upstairs to loft if on an open stair case . fire alarms on all landings no brainer, Seperate ring/radial + tap off 3amp for lights if you wanna keep the cable simple and your good to go .

Did this on our 1913 terraced last year. Managed to get a top notch loft conversion with full roof off a new bigger timbers, veluxs etc for a bit over 16k.

Biggest bit that helped me was getting a local architect who knew local planning laws to the letter. He did full working drawings with all possible designs for escape and fire detection.

The drawings made the job so easy and only cost around 520 quid

Reply to Thinking of a shell conversion of my loft. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net