Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Thinking of a shell conversion of my loft. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    Hi just thought I would throw this out here into the forum. I am going to convert my loft and wonder if anyone has any tips, expertise or resources that may help. You never know who can do what on this forum. I live in a 30s' terraced house with a 38 degree pitch and 3m at the ridge so plenty of room. I intend to get a shell conversion. So structural calcs and Building regs are taken care of and any other things I can't do like Velux windows. The plumbing, carpentry (like stairbuilding), electrics plastering will all be done by me. Bear in mind I am in Bristol. I am trying to do this as inexpensively as possible.

2. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Hope I'm not teaching you to suck eggs but the party wall act will apply I both sides!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Vortigern

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    No not at all. Any tips appreciated including reminders.

4. Murdoch

And cooperation from your neighbour's for scaffolding and access would be a bonus too!

5. SWD

SWD Gender neutral Electrician's Arms

You may need planning permission or Building control, not sure if it will come under permitted development so you may need to check. Why not just build a proper loft conversion?

6. Murdoch

^^ be wary of permitted development, it's been withdrawn in lots of areas

• Useful Useful x 2
  7. Devonchris

Devonchris Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    O
    Velux windows don't need scaffolding, it can all be done from in the loft. I don't think they need PP as well, so get them in first. Easier to see what your doing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Vortigern

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    Ok just checked permitted development and found my address is permitted development, Phew.

9. Vortigern

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    That is what I am planning to do.

10. Rob

Rob Trusted Advisor

The ceilings of rooms underneath will need to be boarded out with fire rated plaster board if they aren't already I seem to believe. Started looking into doing the same myself but never got very far with it.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Devonchris

Devonchris Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    O
    all plaster board is fire rated. If you have the minimum 12.5m boards then that will give you a half hour, which should be sufficient. If your ceilings are lathe and plaster then building control may require more. The main concern will be means of escape. So get your staircase and fire detection signed off before any work on that begins.

12. Gavin John Hyde

Gavin John Hyde Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    Sulis Electrical Services
    If you do need to involve building control remember kingswood is south gloucestershire and not bristol. I have dealt with a few people who sent documents and forms for planning and regs purposes to bristol council offices by mistake and it slows it down whilst waiting for them to be sent back to resend to the correct council

• Like Like x 1
  13. mydigitalhome

mydigitalhome Regular EF Member

Staircase requires building control plus you may need to add door for fire regs. Remember smoke detection. Do you still have a chimney? Is it lined as don’t want to have any issues. Where there are bends believe they need inspection hatches for safety checks think it’s a requirement worth checking.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Andy5678

Andy5678 Active EF Member

Currently doing a loft conversion on my house. I had an artitecht draw up plans and then it passed to structure engineer to add his bit and then they got submitted to building control. Only needed a building warrant for one single room with stairs and velux windows.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Leesparkykent

Leesparkykent You Rock Gmes Staff Member Trusted Advisor

I would look at telebeam conversions...quicker, less hassle, install them yourself, could be passed through the loft hatch so can be mostly complete before cutting out for stairs etc.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. SWD

SWD Gender neutral Electrician's Arms

Ah you mentioned shell conversion, my mistake.

Also check to see any of your neighbours have done a similar loft conversion then do a search on their address on the local councils planning portal and download the drawings and the application as it may be useful to you.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Vortigern

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    Blow me down wiv a fevver! Person over the road has had one done and its identical to mine that helps a lot.

18. valleybilly

valleybilly Scuber Do

You can have a Dormer to the rear not the front , Means of escape 900mm to base of velux or steps from floor to this dim & Velux needs to be top hung. Fire door upstairs to loft if on an open stair case . fire alarms on all landings no brainer, Seperate ring/radial + tap off 3amp for lights if you wanna keep the cable simple and your good to go .

• Like Like x 1
  19. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    loft that size, you could convert to cannabis growth. :D

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Amp David

Amp David Trusted Advisor

Did this on our 1913 terraced last year. Managed to get a top notch loft conversion with full roof off a new bigger timbers, veluxs etc for a bit over 16k.

Biggest bit that helped me was getting a local architect who knew local planning laws to the letter. He did full working drawings with all possible designs for escape and fire detection.

The drawings made the job so easy and only cost around 520 quid

• Informative Informative x 1