Discuss Thinking of ditching niceic in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jaxo

I've been thinking of ditching NICEIC but I'm just not 100% sure if its the right thing to to ..

I've been an approved contractor for around 8 years and when I joined I was doing a lot of work for builders who required a scheme registered contractor to do their electrical work..

Nowadays my work is mainly maintenance & call outs for domestic and commercial customers, none of whom even know who NICEIC are let alone ask me if I'm registered.. I do some installation work also, but very little (if any) for the past 2-3 years for anyone who actually requires a NICEIC or scheme member certificate.. I could use my own certs if I wanted but use NICEIC online certification software as I'm registered with them and its free,.. not because customers specifically ask for it.

Living in N. Ireland there is no part P either so I really am failing to see what benefits being a NICEIC approved contractor is bringing to the table.. I'm just seeing it as a pointless £500 bill every year...

So the BIG question, should I stay or should I leave.. ? Has anyone here left previously and went it alone (without a scheme).. and if so how did you find it ??

Jack

I'm with stroma and id rather have that extra money in my pocket. After reading your thread about not having to register jobs under part p where you are then I'd go it alone. I have however voted to go with someone else as I voted before I read the thread. After 8 years in business I'd have thought your existing customers would use you again regardless of whether or not you pay a scam.

Had my initial Stroma assessment today after considering which scheme to go for, seemed a no-brainer to go with them for £288 all in compared to others which were substantially higher!

Have you gained any work through being a member via their website...? If not I'd lean towards going it alone as it seems an unjustified expense in Northern Ireland.

I can tell you that here NO SCHEME is recognised except for the NICEIC Approved Contractor Scheme, with the exception of the ECA (who are accepted by most councils). And Napit by even fewer.

The Housing Executive and pretty much all public bodies will demand that NICEIC Approved Contractors carry out work to the exclusion of any and all other schemes.

(In the south is different where RECI is the only permissible body to be registered with, and there is in fact a legal obligation for registration.)

So really it depends whether he needs public sector works (or builders or others who require NIC Approved Contractors). But I would say it would be silly to deregister.

Much the same boat as you, narrowed down my work scope to call outs/maintenance and small domestic/light commercial
jobs(best profit margins and least amount of hard graft!!)

I left niceic approved contractor scheme this year for stroma, no change whatso ever! 99.9% of everyone outside the electrical industry does not give a hoot who your registered with or even if your registered at all, they just want you to turn up and their problem solved

should of done it ages ago, unless your doing authority or large contracts save yourself the money and hassel

For those that joined stroma, what did you show for your assessment. After having a look, it seems all schemes will accept most new works, and in particular ccu changes. But according to information I can find stroma won't accept a ccu change, and want to see 2 new circuits instead.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

For those that joined stroma, what did you show for your assessment. After having a look, it seems all schemes will accept most new works, and in particular ccu changes. But according to information I can find stroma won't accept a ccu change, and want to see 2 new circuits instead.

I have shown them a new circuit and a CU change, but in general there are limited opportunities for me to provide notifiable work, however last time they said "we have chosen one of your notifiable jobs (from the information you send) and we want to see that one".
This was surprise but probably sensible, stops you choosing the two jobs you did right and avoiding all the other ones you messed up!:angel_smile:

True Richard, but it also puts onus on the occupier to provide access at a possibly inconvenient time? At least when you choose what jobs you show you can arrange with people to suit

Stroma asked to see one install and I showed him a cu change. He asked to see all my insurances/quals/health and safety etc and asked to see all relevant tests on one circuit. He was thorough but seemed in a rush. It was a lovely day and he'd driven from Manchester to Rotherham so didn't blame him really. Nice chap to be fare. Only pay them because It makes my life easier

What was his fare? £100/hour?

:smiley2:

The Napit guy told me he was testing me cheaper than he normally charged before telling me the WIRING REGS ARE WRONG.
The Cost me £200+ for them words of wisdom.
I did point out i was Dyslexic, so Screaming at me that the Wiring Regs are Wrong isnt the smartest thing to do.
So went with NICEIC, do charge lot for next to nothing (even less in my case)
So looking at Stroma now, all asked for the same information and said they all want to see a CU change Ring & Rad testing

Well niceic out for me, didn't bother to put me on the competent persons list
And there feedback was not our problem, and can you pay use £510 for next year's.
For the cost I would expect some liability from them to do their job.

Reply to Thinking of ditching niceic in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net