Discuss Thinking of starting up in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently working as a domestic self employed sparks mate however the work is few and far between at the minute. I have 2365 level 3 and around five years experience. I was thinking of starting up on my own just doing minor works and nothing notifiable to fill the time when I'm not working for established sparks. My question is am I alright just to go out now and do minor works or do I need to be in a competent persons scheme even for that also do I need part P or 17th edition when like I say the work will be kept to non notifiable stuff until such a time when I feel like I can go the whole hog and register with competent person scheme to take on bigger jobs.

I cant really see how it would work not being able to do notifiable works. For example you change a few lights at a customers house, customers happy with your work so asks for a price to upgrade their consumer unit.......Sorry I cant do that. Doesn't look good does it. Being self employed I take it you have the relevant insurances, test equipment etc so wouldn't cost much to join STROMA at around £280 a year.

The thinking is just get a bit of money behind me to enable me join a competent persons scheme and a customer base, but I see your point.

You should have insurance now, the relevant regs books, calibrated tester, etc etc so the issue is Stoma which is £280.00

So not much.

Then to grow your base you need to advertise etc.

Just wondering why STROMA is being suggested instead of NIC, ELECSA etc
Only asking as I'm going through them same process, trying to get prepared for next year.

As has been stated in the past - customers have usually no idea about notifiable work let alone the schemes, names and what they do, so to be able to certify and notify LABC is the minimum required and in this instance Stroma tick all the boxes. For larger works and contracts where NIC is blindly required then you just have to tow the line but you'll retrieve the added expense on the first job or contract - 'horses for courses'

Reply to Thinking of starting up in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock