Currently reading:
This fault has me confused!

Discuss This fault has me confused! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I rather foolishly booked in a fault finding job in a 2 hour slot thinking I could solve it quickly, I couldn't!

It has me confused, although I haven't let myself slow down yet and focus so you guys may point out something obvious.

It is an intermittent tripping MCB on a 32A ring ciruit (sometimes the RCD trips) on a dual RCD board. It trips a number of times each day. This has been going on for perhaps a week. Over the last 2 days 5 sockets have actually stopped working completely even with the power on. The ring feeds the whole house.

r1 = 0.14 Mohm (140,000 ohms)
r2 = 28K ohms (28,000 ohms)
rn = 0.7 ohms

With all sockets connected and the ring split in the CU I get :

Leg 1 = L/N - E 0.01Mohms
Leg 2 = I didn't write down the results but they were >1Mohm.

When I split the ring at one socket the IR results were all >1Mohm when tested in the CU, I didn't test at the split socket.

I think I'm getting confused because of the 5 non working sockets. If a ring is broken (as this is) all sockets should still work. Am I right in thinking there HAS to be 2 faults either side of those non working sockets (assuming they are not all spurred from the same socket) or am I missing something?

Usually, in order to find the break I would split the ring. Reconnect the leg that has continuity with the relevant leg in the CU liven them up and eliminate the working ones, but if there are 2 breaks this wont work, i don't think!

Update... the customer has literally just rang saying he removed a socket and just plastered in the cables a while ago and when he bangs that part of the wall it trips! However, this would be just one fault and would still not stop 5 sockets from working!! o_O :disappointed::anguished::tired:

Last edited:

Reply to This fault has me confused! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back