Discuss This will be useful for some of you wannabees in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

i wouldnt swap all the years ive spent as an apprentice for a 20 day course, barely any of the hours sitting in a classroom with no tutor played a part in my competence, onsite experience is superior, at least for me

Blimey, who would have thought you could learn all you need to in 4 weeks! How much do they charge for these errrr not scamming you courses ?

Blimey! I AM a FKN electrician after all!
All your ducks in a row...
going forward...
utilising skill sets...

Guys and Gals...that is sh*t!
I can wire a plug, install a radial or RFC, cable up a kitchen or bathroom with shower and spa-bath, get the cable sizes right, get the right FCUs and install them...who needs 4 weeeks for that? It's not difficult!
However, connecting to a CU, and proper testing? No way is that a 4 week course! I'll do all of the above, but clearly a properly qualified, time served, experienced electrician is the only safe route...
I am not surprised about how some of you get so pi**ed off. You do NOT need videos like this...

I even understand diversity (a bit)...but only because I restrict my high-heels wearing to the weekends!

I am not so sure you would be accepted by a CPS scheme with just that. I know Stroma require a level 3 qualification as a minimum qualification. And that has to be EAL or C&G as far as I have been told by Stroma. Surely you could not do that in 2o days? That has to include initial verification and testing. And then when you get into the field and real work you are going to find it is nothing like the workshop each house is different. I just think that is one of those courses where they promise you will be an electrician but when you get to go out and sign up for the scheme you wont be able to. We have had more than one on here bemoaning the fact they have spent thousands on the promise of these kinds of results. I mean there are five prescribed (The Electrotechnical Assessment Specification Management Committee (EAS)) routes to enter the trade as an electrician and I am sure that course would not qualify you. I think I'm losing it...

These 'domestic installer' training schemes are a scam, and as such ought to be outlawed. This would protect s̶u̶c̶k̶e̶r̶s̶ trainees from unscrupulous r̶i̶p̶-̶o̶f̶f̶ ̶m̶e̶r̶c̶h̶a̶n̶t̶s̶ training providers and homeowners from inexperienced, under-trained, non-qualified 'electricians'. It is simply not possible to become an electrician in 20 days and is an insult to those of us who completed lengthy apprenticeships to contend otherwise.:mad::mad::mad:

3 days to do the regs course? So they are saying now that all the experienced sparks who have been doing this job for many years have to do the same length of course for the new amendments as those with zero knowledge of electrical work.

Oh dear.
Anyone who thinks a handful of days in a supervised workshop makes you competent to do this work in the real world is simply mistaken.
Evidently, the CPS Schemes do, if what the presenter is actually true, and not just a marketing ploy, by the training establishment, if this is the case, then in my opinion all this does is enhance my views of the schemes involved, are nothing but a scam to make money, and not to Police the Domestic Electrical Installation industry. They need investigating, by an independent organisation, not by the likes of the people we saw when they had the cross party review, which was an item of discussion on this forum a few years back. I can't recall the Forum Member who observed the proceedings, but he was a well respected Forum member.

Evidently, the CPS Schemes do, if what the presenter is actually true, and not just a marketing ploy, by the training establishment, if this is the case, then in my opinion all this does is enhance my views of the schemes involved, are nothing but a scam to make money, and not to Police the Domestic Electrical Installation industry. They need investigating, by an independent organisation, not by the likes of the people we saw when they had the cross party review, which was an item of discussion on this forum a few years back. I can't recall the Forum Member who observed the proceedings, but he was a well respected Forum member.

Sparky Ninja has covered this issue too....

Thanks Dillb, It was on the tip of my tongue, is Damien still around do you know? Not seen him about on this forum, thought maybe he has change to another, I liked him, good bloke I reckon.

Sparky Ninja has covered this issue too....

I know JK but I could never recall Damiens name, nor the name of the committees video, I do know though thanks to you and Dillbthanks both.

Thanks Dillb, It was on the tip of my tongue, is Damien still around do you know? Not seen him about on this forum, thought maybe he has change to another, I liked him, good bloke I reckon.

No dont think hes been on here for a ling time, like alot of the others from that time but thats a story for another day. That remonds me gonna post something in the arms about the older members sometime soon.

I know JK but I could never recall Damiens name, nor the name of the committees video, I do know though thanks to you and Dillbthanks both.
He posted a thread a couple of months back where it seems he was having work as well as personal problems.

Reply to This will be useful for some of you wannabees in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net