Discuss Those pesky little fuses. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I

ian

A few months ago I wired a small conservatory, just the standard stuff protected by a 2 way RCD CU. At the time I was asked to quote for a re wire including the storage heaters. But as I hadn’t heard about the rewire I thought I had missed out. Anyway got a call yesterday from the homeowners saying the RCD was tripping out. I nipped round today to see what was happening. I was a wee bit shocked when I arrived to see that the homeowner was rewiring the house himself. He had switched the old 3036-fuse board off and left my CU on to supply the entire house. Basically he had extensions feeding more extensions, which snaked throughout the house. But the fuses blew in the plug tops, so he came up with an ingenious solution…wound 30amp fuse wire around the blown fuse. But the inconsiderate 20amp MCB I installed to service the conservatory kept tripping so he nipped to B&Q and bought a 50amp and replaced it. When I realised what was happening my jaw dropped.

Basically, he had the entire house serviced from a few extensions, including 3 storage heaters, all the stuff in the kitchen, TVs. game consoles, PC’s etc.

When I arrived I was given a -------ing because he thought I had fitted a dodgy RCD. But when I tested the 2.5 cable I installed, the IR was less that 2 megs, and some of the extensions had melted.

I could not help having a slight chuckle to myself, when i was getting a -------ing and he proudly said that “electrics are easy” and how he had saved £3,500 by rewiring the house himself.

We had a chat about Part P, his cock-ups and the dangerous practices. I then gave him an imminent danger notice and left. I got a call from his wife earlier, she wants me to go round and rewire the house for him…. wasn’t happy when I told him I would need to start from scratch.

Ian

Ha Ha serves him right. Lol. Bet he's really in the dog house with his Mrs. Sounds like a candidate for a darwin award to me!!!

With over 25yrs in the trade it still amazes me how many people try and save a penny, but it costs them pounds in the long run. Found showers on 50amp fuses to 2.5mm flex,, nails in fuses to showers,12 4 plank extension to a plug, mice living in the fuse board which they thought was cute.But the best one was a small boy who posted a lolly pop in the fuse board which was missing blanks ,which caught fire and killed the board but made the house smell like candy floss. They will never learn but it keeps me and many more in a living.

Nice at least you got the job and i bet they dont question your ability now mate he who laughs last and all that.
I bet if he even stands to close while your working his mrs will whack him with the mop lol

don't forget the 30% surcharge for " cost extra if you've had a go yourself first"

I have a customer who i visit regular. He always has a go, drops himself in it, and then rings me up to sort it out. Called me yesterday to sort out the fan he has put in his bathroom, cos he's not sure how to wire it up. he's bought all the gear at a rip off shed, and its all wrong. I keep telling him to stop messing about wasting money on buying the wrong kit and cocking the job up, why not just call me in the first place, i have all the bits on the van, and if i do the job from the start it will be cheaper because i wont have to remove a load of crap before i start. shouldn't complain though cos i make twice as much money. Some people!

Reply to Those pesky little fuses. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock