Discuss Thoughts on How To Price These Jobs? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

nlbhoy

I just got an email from a guy I know from way back, he owns a good sized plumbing and heating
company (also has many rental properties) and he has asked me to put together quotes various electrical works.

Mostly heating related.

I've not long gone out on my own so I'm trying to get a handle on how to price effectively and having
other sparks opinions would be great.

Types of jobs I've to price for including labour and materials. I've put prices I was thinking of charging him next to the job. All work is domestic properties.

1. Run supply to boiler (£80)
2. Run supply to emersion heater (£100)
3. Run 10mm earth (if needed) (£80)
4. Wire and fit heat detector (£80)
5. Wire and fit smoke detectors (£70)
6. Wire and fit co detectors (£70)
7. Pat Testing house (£50 per house)
8. Electrical Condition report (£100)

I recently became an NIC Approved contractor which is obviously an added expense so I'm not wanting to
undervalue myself, but on the flip side I do want the work as it's steady and there's enough of it to fill my weeks!

No 8, an EICR, will depend very much on the size of the property - the £100 would barely cover the smallest property - assuming you plan to do it properly.

I just got an email from a guy I know from way back, he owns a good sized plumbing and heating
company (also has many rental properties) and he has asked me to put together quotes various electrical works.

Mostly heating related.

I've not long gone out on my own so I'm trying to get a handle on how to price effectively and having

Types of jobs I've to price for including labour and materials. I've put prices I was thinking of charging him next to the job. All work is domestic properties.

I recently became an NIC Approved contractor which is obviously an added expense so I'm not wanting to
undervalue myself, but on the flip side I do want the work as it's steady and there's enough of it to fill my weeks!

PAT test the house??

And for 4,5 & 6 if you are supplying these detectors, you could end up being out of pocket. I hate to give set prices, a day rate plus materials is much more secure IMHO.
However, good luck with your new venture.

Mostly heating related.

Perhaps you can give the chap a rough idea of the cost (as above), but I'd be very wary of saying 'this is what I will charge', as you may find some of the jobs really tricky. For example the 'running a new 10mm earth' (expect it'll be 16mm), could mean taking up floorboards all over the place (£200 approx) or everything may be really easy to access and it'll cost far, far less.

At a rough approximation I would say all of the above are too low.

And for 4,5 & 6 if you are supplying these detectors, you could end up being out of pocket. I hate to give set prices, a day rate plus materials is much more secure IMHO.
Yeah, I'll be suppling all materials.

I've done a lot of detectors in rented properties with my old company, so I have a good idea of how long they can take
best and worst case. I have know idea what the company I worked for charged though!

Concur with that, decent heat alarm for example could set you back £45. Think you need to re think your prices.

That price came from the last place I worked, they would charge £60 flat rate for a house/flat.

But I does seem a bit on the high side considering how much time it takes... maybe half that to £25?
Don't screw yourself down, some of the smallest jobs may waste half a day, you're in business and each day needs paying for, minimum charge half a day unless you have several in close locality.

I don't do PAT testing Pete but £50 to PAT test all appliances in the house? How long does a PAT test take? Perhaps they're really quick?

Thinking about it a bit more, fixed appliances say: shower, boiler, cooker/hob, does take a bit more time that a kettle say, so maybe my first impression was a bit off, depends really on how many appliances in the property, £50 may not be to far off.

£200/£00 for the EICR

Last edited:
Concur with that, decent heat alarm for example could set you back £45. Think you need to re think your prices.
I get Aico heat detectors for under £30.

But yeah, I do need to get the pricing right, that's why I asked here as many of you guys will be more
experienced in pricing jobs than I am

I get Aico heat detectors for under £30.

But yeah, I do need to get the pricing right, that's why I asked here as many of you guys will be more
experienced in pricing jobs than I am

Where in the UK are you?

If you are in my patch you would end up a VERY busy, poor fool!

Reply to Thoughts on How To Price These Jobs? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock