Discuss Thoughts on kiln installation in customers garage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm going out later today to quote for installing a kiln in a customers garage.
He has sent me the specs for the kiln and photos of his consumer unit. He tells me that the only other heavy load item is a 10.8kW shower.
The run from the CU to the garage is approximately 25 metres
The kiln is rated at 50 amp / 11.5kW
The CU is split load RCD with 2x 32 amp ring finals, 2x 6 amp lighting and 1x 40 amp shower circuit.

I think the fuse fairy will need to check the DNO fuse size to see if it will cope with the load

I am thinking 10mm2 T&E or SWA depending on routing of the cable
Not sure whether to install separate CU for the kiln (splitting the incomers with Henley block), need to calculate the loads but think this may be better than potentially overloading the current CU.
What would you recommend for connecting the kiln, I initially thought of a commando socket but have only seen them to up to 32 amp.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

No mention of electric cooker in the house, so loadwise it’ll be ok.
Just don’t have a shower on at the same time.

Install a heat exchanger and heat the rest of the house from the garage.

Been out to quote. The fuse fairy tells me there is a 100 amp cut out fuse. The hob is gas and the oven is 3.5kw on a 13 amp plug so load wise I think they will be fine (need to do all the calcs yet)

The only potential issue is the property is a semi on a looped service, theirs being the first. Is it worth discussing with the DNO as I do not know what sort of load the other property will be pulling..

upload_2019-1-18_14-27-29.png

do the job first. then let DNO worry if there's a problem. if you contact them first, your client might face a huge bill for modifying the service.

Reply to Thoughts on kiln installation in customers garage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net