Discuss Thoughts on this instalation in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hi, I've been requested to look at this installation and provide a quote to rectify as it failed an EICR.
one major problem, I can see is where the mains cable goes via the Henley type block in the middle, the block has no cover at the top so basically you could touch the metal screws easily.(not clear in the pictures)
several holes to consumer box where the bottom cables/ mains cable enter have not been properly sealed.

Just looking for a wee bit of advice/ second opinion here .
The hole where the cables exit the wall appears to be where the old fuse box was.
As can be seen some of the cables from the hole have no play in them to allow a trunking to be used. I don't want to join cables if possible.
one option is to cover that area with ply board, to make it cosmetically better looking , although I would need to protect the cables behind said board ( any suggestions ?)

Re the cable mains block, has anyone any suggestions as to protecting the holes or ideas where to get suitable parts.
I realise these mean easy questions for some folk, but I've not had to rectify faults like this before and despite looking, I cant find any suitable parts.
I suppose one option is to ask the service provider to install an isolator, to allow the consumer unit to be moved and request they place it where the block is/ or are they responsible for rectifying this part of the circuit?

This work was done by an electrician who has refused to rectify the faults for the house owner.
The eicr failed on a visual inspection as C1
My initial thoughts were to move the consumer unit to where the fuse box was previously. However he has so many different points of entry to the box, I would be sealing a lot of holes he had made and now possibly joining other cables to reach this point /or a rewire of a few circuits. or starting again with a brand new consumer unit.

Any help/ reasonable helpful thoughts would be appreciated as always

Thoughts on this instalation MAIN PIC - EletriciansForums.net

Thoughts on this instalation 3 - EletriciansForums.net

Thoughts on this instalation PIC 2 - EletriciansForums.net

Does look a bit ---- to me. As for the henley blocks they seem to be 2 one for the neutral and one for the line, why not just get a bit of 25mm tails and put it in one hole and loop it into the other hole on the same block and do tbe same for the other block and there you have it no more holes for any one to put there fingers into.

What was the C1 it failed on

Hi dude,what was the reason(s) for the C1,and what is your part in any rectification? :)
Its a rented property and leased via council their sparks carry out the eicr
the only remarks are that it is c1 visual inspection only.
I have asked for the previous eicr one to see if this has any more information.
the impression I get is there has been a fallout between the last electrician and the council. he had changed it from a fuse box to this

Does look a bit **** to me. As for the henley blocks they seem to be 2 one for the neutral and one for the line, why not just get a bit of 25mm tails and put it in one hole and loop it into the other hole on the same block and do tbe same for the other block and there you have it no more holes for any one to put there fingers into.

What was the C1 it failed on

re the question as to my part in this .
I have started to get some work via local landlords as I have managed to sort out a few messes left by others (in our profession)

This one is a mess as you can see I've included a couple more pics unfortunately I've not caught the hole in the bottom where the mains cable enter.
also there are a few cables not connected..as you can see although the new board is labelled a
I did suggest the owner get the original spark back as they had been paid ...

Thoughts on this instalation insie] - EletriciansForums.net

Thoughts on this instalation left con - EletriciansForums.net

Thoughts on this instalation right conunit - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
Its not a good idea to mount a cons unit on the supply board
It is best moved back to where it came from
Why would you need the supplier to isolate or even to fit a isolator?
It can be done without their involvement,however,the supply looks ropy itself,no scratch that, it looks bleak,there appears to be single cores coming through the back board in different locations/holes

I suppose you could plate the consumer unit if there are going to be many holes,the tails will need a gland to support and protect at the entry otherwise, whilst your moving the item,it would be just as well to change it if the job is a contentions issue with the parties involved

Any cables that need extending can be done via a enclosure mounted where the consumer is currently

Whats the score regards earthing ?I can't see much of anything

Its not a good idea to mount a cons unit on the supply board
It is best moved back to where it came from
Why would you need the supplier to isolate or even to fit a isolator?
It can be done without their involvement,however,the supply looks ropy itself,no scratch that, it looks bleak,there appears to be single cores coming through the back board in different locations/holes

I suppose you could plate the consumer unit if there are going to be many holes,the tails will need a gland to support and protect at the entry otherwise, whilst your moving the item,it would be just as well to change it if the job is a contentions issue with the parties involved

Any cables that need extending can be done via a enclosure mounted where the consumer is currently

Whats the score regards earthing ?I can't see much of anything
I'm going back out for a better look .
I had been told originally over the phone, the problem was only a few gaps where cables entered the consumer unit. I didn't realise how bad it was until I was there and was time limited to give it a good look.
Think its back to scratch and possibly new cu and back to old position is the best option.
I Just think, on looking at the cables and markings on cu that this is a dogs breakfast. A few cables not in place and the earth looks like the top right.
This is the third job/mess I've been to recently that have been done by electricians or companies, who just ignore the customer once they have been paid
who could leave a job in that state ?

ok been back out today
I noted in the pics that the ground floor sockets mcb had no cables connected .
I found three twin and earth cables tucked in the back of the cables within the unit.
Quick test found that two twin /earth cables were for the downstairs sockets.
strange they weren't connected..

that is until I find that there is an earth/ neutral fault. now appears the previous installer has disconnected and left it.

still cant find the garage he has marked on the cu either

confirmed with the electricity supplier that they will provide the suitable blanks for the connector block.
their words were" the supply responsibility is to the first switch"
they are coming out to fix that.

always like to update

Looks like a Barney Rubble job DC, I suppose the Land Lord wants a quick cheap job right?
I it wasn't for the fact that you are getting a few referrals, and also if the LL isn't prepared to stump up for what looks like a fair bit of work to make this job acceptable, give him a price, if it's no, then you may need to consider walking away from this one, remember, put all your findings in writing copy the LL the Occupier and if the other Leccy was a Scheme member, copy them as well, cover your backside well and truly, oh and keep a copy yourself, you never know what might transpire in the future, if the LL wont pay for the work.

Looks like a Barney Rubble job DC, I suppose the Land Lord wants a quick cheap job right?
I it wasn't for the fact that you are getting a few referrals, and also if the LL isn't prepared to stump up for what looks like a fair bit of work to make this job acceptable, give him a price, if it's no, then you may need to consider walking away from this one, remember, put all your findings in writing copy the LL the Occupier and if the other Leccy was a Scheme member, copy them as well, cover your backside well and truly, oh and keep a copy yourself, you never know what might transpire in the future, if the LL wont pay for the work.

:luckily the place is unoccupied.
The landlord wanted me to call the other electrician and tell him to fix the faults. I said no way lol
also correct re cheap , I've explained that I would be starting afresh if I took the job on (don't know what other surprises have been hidden).
to be fair the LL has probably paid a small fortune already and cant understand why work would be duplicated.
I will prepare a quote and send it off. although I'm wary of being used (or my quote) at court, if landlord takes action against the other spark.

thanks for your thoughts Pete

:luckily the place is unoccupied.
The landlord wanted me to call the other electrician and tell him to fix the faults. I said no way lol
also correct re cheap , I've explained that I would be starting afresh if I took the job on (don't know what other surprises have been hidden).
to be fair the LL has probably paid a small fortune already and cant understand why work would be duplicated.
I will prepare a quote and send it off. although I'm wary of being used (or my quote) at court, if landlord takes action against the other spark.

thanks for your thoughts Pete
Thanks for the reply

ok so gave quote and verbal authorisation to do the job. so ordered the materials collected same,ready to start next Monday . Asked for confirmation by email to start job.
landlord then delayed by saying will let you know next week.
talk about getting messed about.
I had to contact council and inform them re the delay .
they (the council) say they have paid the rent on this place for 10 months since it failed the initial EICR.
So the landlord gets the money whether its occupied or not
hence their delay of getting the work done ..

back to the council with the suggestion that they stop paying the rent . If the landlord comes back. I might have to up or double my hourly rate lol

Reply to Thoughts on this instalation in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock