Discuss Thoughts on twisting CPCs together. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Lumie

-
Reaction score
Just wondering on peoples thoughts on twisting CPC's together. Worked with multiple sparks over the years some do it some don't. The ones who do it argue that there is less chance of losing continuity, as even if they do become loose in the back of accessories they are still twisted together. However I don't as I think it is bad practise for when it comes to the testing side and also lengthens it.

Whats your thoughts?

My thoughts are I should definitely have better things to be doing on a Wednesday night than thinking this over!

As I tend to loop over the conductor when terminating at the switch or earth terminal this precludes twisting together. And yes it is a pain when having to untwist and possibly damage earths for testing. Although I was taught to do that when the devil was a boy. But don't tell anyone on this forum though.

Nightmare for testing, but it can give a good connection. My thoughts have been mixed over time, but the final decision was regarding twisting at sockets, if they pop out the terminal they will still give you an end to end, although the socket won't have an earth, I prefer to have each leg into separate terminals, less chance of losing the earth.

Never mind cpcs lightly twisted , feller i used to work for use to make me twist lives (line i know dear) and neutral together ,he would check to make sure they where evenly twisted and that one core wasn't twisting more than the other.

Seen this loads of times, utter madness springs to mind! Trying to find a fault on a ring socket, un-twisting the conductors to test leg to leg, which causes them to become weak and snap........they were short enough to start with.......

Seen this loads of times, utter madness springs to mind! Trying to find a fault on a ring socket, un-twisting the conductors to test leg to leg, which causes them to become weak and snap........they were short enough to start with.......
he also though automatic wire stripper's where for diyer and 4mm earth sleeving was sound for lighting circuit . He is minted and his two daughters are fit so maybe he was right

Firm I worked for during first 18 months of apprenticeship twisted all 3 conductors, the college tutor was shocked at them teaching me that, as it was a well respected small family firm, and said if that's what they want done then do it, but not in college or during AM1&2.
Never done it since I left them.

Reply to Thoughts on twisting CPCs together. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net