Discuss Thoughts on wooden wall lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Steve T

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi
I’ve got these nice wooden wall lights as a present, and I’ve installed them in the living room, where there are wall light points, but no wall lights previously installed. I think they look great, only problem is I’m not sure they are electrically and fire safe. They have 2 GU10 holders inside, attached to a piece of wood, with a plywood spacer between the lamp holder and middle piece of wood to allow the cables to run without getting crushed. Obviously LED lamps are installed; I wouldn’t consider putting halogens into these!
I’ll attach some pictures, what are your thoughts on them?

Plenty of circulating air - quite big area inside to fit a smoke alarm!
I quite like it - it’s different and no insulation in sight!

Yes, I’m sure they wouldn’t pass CE marking, but the lampholders themselves have.
I’m sure you would not leave these installed in a customers house under your name, however would you be happy to have these installed in your own house, with LED lamps in them?

I would be concerned about the single insulated cables coming out of the back of the unit, but then again there are millions like this installed in houses, I might be reasonably confident that most quality LED lamps would not cause a fire, though the downward pointing one is a heat trap. I would probably put them in my house if they had been given as a present (possibly on quick release terminals so they were put up only when the gift giver comes over!). There is no chance they would be installed for a customer.

Sometimes it catches you out even after being so careful - editing I think catches us because it pretends that you haven’t made the changes so you do them again and Bang, you’re caught. Welcome RB to the losers club - we are BIG!
Wow my first duplicated post!

The cables have standard PVC insulation and in top of that a fabric ‘sleeve’, so not sure if that’s single or double insulated. The lamps are Philips glass LEDs so good brand and even if they did overheat it should be contained in the glass body. As the pictures show there are gaps around the edges, which should let some heat escape, but should I drill some holes around the wood in the middle to let heat escape better?

the Gaps should be sufficient for any medium heat produced by the LED.
The single insulated wires covered in heat resistant sheath (not double insulated) if not disturbed will give sufficient protection.
As Richard Burns says, if in your own home under your own supervision then you’ve made a great talking point but you can’t go into business and start selling them.

I like those and from one photo it does look like there is air space inside to let the lower lamp pass heat upwards.:constructionworker: I would have probably mounted the lamp holder on insulated plastic.
The brilliant thing is you can recycle them after many years use....in the garden as a bird feeder:bird:, insect home:beetle::bug: or fuel for the wood burner. :fire:
Use more wood, grow more trees:palmtree::palmtree:.
As for CE mark ....how many CE electrical products out there fail to overheating and fire!:fire::fire:

just need to wood panel them walls to match. walnut planks would be ideal.

Reply to Thoughts on wooden wall lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net