Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss three phase coolant pump in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. powderblast

powderblast EF Member

Hi i have just bought a lathe which is running on three phase i have bought a vfd to run the lathe from single phase

but i have a coolant pump that runs on three phase i have converted it to run on single phase but it appears to have a dip when running do any of you guys know what i need to do.

here the video clip

20171012_113802.jpg

2. powderblast

powderblast EF Member

heres a pic of the motor plate on the suds pump

20171011_144844.jpg

3. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Electrician's Arms

So the lathe runs from the vfd but the pump does not, correct. How exactly have you "converted" it to run from single phase?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rocboni

Rocboni Trainee Access

Looks like he's connected a capacitor across the terminals to create a phantom 3rd phase , usually the motor must be connected in delta but that doesn't look like a dual voltage motor so I would say that's the problem the motor will be running a lot slower than it usually does. Winding street must be intarnaly connected in star configuration as only 3 leads visible.

5. westward10

Didn't see the capacitor!
    Well it will run but the efficiency and power will be reduced as the shift and/or phase voltage balance will never be correct by doing that.

6. Rocboni

Rocboni Trainee Access

You can get away with it with a small dual voltage motor connected in delta, giving 230 to each winding, but that motor will only be getting 115- 120v per winding connected in star.

7. westward10

He needs a single phase motor on it.

8. powderblast

powderblast EF Member

Hi i bought this and this runs great just got it working only down side is you loose all the original controls on the lathe but it all run on three phase and my house is only single.

putting a single phase motor on it would not of work because the electrics was all wire up for three phase

s-l500.jpg

20170928_142621_HDR (1).jpg

9. powderblast

powderblast EF Member

Yes the pump is star only so i was told wiring it like this would only give me half the power which should be fine but my concern was the way it was running or is this common doing this will it run like this or just burn out??

i thought it may be dipping in power because of the capacitor no big enough???
    im not sure i have never done this before just going of advice and forums.

10. Rocboni

Rocboni Trainee Access

2.5 is a bit small, usually thy are about 40uf

11. westward10

I think 2.5 is about correct for a 40w motor as you can base it roughly on 70uf per kw.

• Like Like x 1
  12. powderblast

powderblast EF Member

what would be causing it to have a voltage dip if you listen to the video i have uploaded you will hear it

13. Rocboni

Rocboni Trainee Access

Looking at other forums that seems correct, not sure if using say a 3uf would improve things. You could try and find the star point of the windings and separate to you can connect in delta, things would be a lot smoother.

14. powderblast

powderblast EF Member

i dont think you can change to delta maybe if you strip the full motor down maybe????

IMG_1730.JPG

IMG_1730.JPG

15. Rocboni

Rocboni Trainee Access

Yes you would have to strip it down to find the star point, it would have been made with 3 sets of windings so there will be a star point, it could be there as soon as you take the top off. Just depends how able you are, you could then reconfigure internally and bring out the 3 leads as it is just now.

It seems to be pumping sufficiently anyway, you'll never need that kind of flow for coolent on the lathe, it'll empty before it's drained back. You'll use it once and it'll be everywhere, I hardly use my collect pump, only if it's stainless steel I'm turning.