Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Three Phase overhead supply is it TN C in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Michael J

Michael J Michael J

While carrying out a EICR I found on first inspection that there were no RCDs installed . When I checked at the Pole Mounted Transformer the Earth & Neutral were connected at the Neutral point. So am I right in concluding it's a TN-C System? The 17th Edition states that RCDs should not be installed where a TN C System is used (411.4.4)

2. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

Are you sure it is tncs on the pole or TT.what is in the property?.
    got any pic of the board .

3. Michael J

Michael J Michael J

I will take a pic tomorrow,but it looks like the Earth and Neutral are connected at the transfer. The reason I am suspecting is a TN-C is the lack of RCD protection on the Ring main final circuits. If it was a TT it would be protected with RCD at the mains

4. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

you mean up front RcD Before the main switch .

5. Michael J

Michael J Michael J

Yes, or any final circuit in the building, by the way it feeds a hotel. The overhead feed is by way of bundle conductors (4) sorry that's a South African term. I don't know what you call them here?

6. buzzlightyear

is it three phase to the buiding.

7. Archy Styrigg

Archy Styrigg Electrician's Arms

Eh?
    The 17th Edition states that RCDs should not be installed where a TN C System is used 411.4.4

The following types of protective device may be used for fault protection:
    (i) An overcurrent protective device
    (ii) An RCD.

It'll be a PME supply. Concentric cable split at the installation intake, to N & E.

8. Michael J

Michael J Michael J

Read on a couple of lines after Note 1
    "An RCD Shat be used in a TN-C system"

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Michael J

Michael J Michael J

Sorry guys it's late it should read " An RCD Shall not be used in a TN_C system":oops:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Michael J

Michael J Michael J

Yes it is

11. Archy Styrigg

Archy Styrigg Electrician's Arms

I think you might be getting confused here chief, TNC is NOT allowed within an installation. TNC/PME supply, then the Earth is split off at the intake.

12. Strima

Strima Electrician's Arms

That'll be 414.4.5 for no RCD on TN-C?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. buzzlightyear

take pic for us in the main intake at the hotel.

14. buzzlightyear

Strima are you not counting sheep in your bed .LoL .because im in night garden with iggle piggle.;)

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Michael J

Michael J Michael J

Thanks, I will take a closer look at the intake, I just don't understand why there are no RCDs on the final ring circuits this hotel has 6 DBs