Discuss Three phase supplying a domestic flat. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

F

Fred Faulkner

Hi guys,

i had a look at a building in the west end of london which is spilt into 10 flats this weekend to do some upgrading works to the landlord area.

i noticed that there was originally 6 flats and the landlord must of added an addition 4 flats on top. Called 10 9 8 7. ( obviously).

The issue is that there has been a 3 phase submain wired in swa from the ground floor ryefield board . Which is then terminated into a 3 phase board installed outside flat 10/9 . From this board they have wired the two flats using all three phases therefore giving a potential of 400v across the circuits installed into the flats!!

i.e
flat 10 1L1 - lighting
flat 10 1l2 - smoke alarms
flat 10 1l3 - sockets
flat 10 2L1 - cooker

flat 9 is the same i.e
3L1 lighting
3l2 smokes etc etc!

this senario is the same for flat 8 7 !

im sure this is hugely wrong!!!

Hi guys,

i had a look at a building in the west end of london which is spilt into 10 flats this weekend to do some upgrading works to the landlord area.

i noticed that there was originally 6 flats and the landlord must of added an addition 4 flats on top. Called 10 9 8 7. ( obviously).

The issue is that there has been a 3 phase submain wired in swa from the ground floor ryefield board . Which is then terminated into a 3 phase board installed outside flat 10/9 . From this board they have wired the two flats using all three phases therefore giving a potential of 400v across the circuits installed into the flats!!

i.e
flat 10 1L1 - lighting
flat 10 1l3 - sockets
flat 10 2L1 - cooker

flat 9 is the same i.e
3L1 lighting
3l2 smokes etc etc!

nope nothing wrong with it, there just balancing the load.

any electrician can tell at a glance it will be a polyphase board so whats the problem?

there shouldnt be a potential for 400v unless they use different phases for the lighting for example.

for example? using way 1,4,7 etc for lighting then there is no chance of 400v if mr diyer has a go himself

nope nothing wrong with it, there just balancing the load.

any electrician can tell at a glance it will be a polyphase board so whats the problem?

there shouldnt be a potential for 400v unless they use different phases for the lighting for example.

for example? using way 1,4,7 etc for lighting then there is no chance of 400v if mr diyer has a go himself

Polyphase board meaning?

Its a 3phase TPN board. I disagree with you this isnt best practise for domestic installations.

there is potential for 400v if a diyer linked off the smoke alarm feed for lighting. There is potential for serious danger

Polyphase board meaning?

Its a 3phase TPN board. I disagree with you this isnt best practise for domestic installations.

there is potential for 400v if a diyer linked off the smoke alarm feed for lighting. There is potential for serious danger

then he's no business messing with things he does not understand. anyway he's just as likely to die from 240V as he is from 415V. just that 415V might be a tad quicker.

Polyphase board meaning?

poly as in multiple.

its not a problem, keep all lighting/smokes on same L and not a problem

because i can. now. have a look on your regs book and find me a reg. that says it's wrong.

Hi guys,

i.e
flat 10 1L1 - lighting
flat 10 1l3 - sockets
flat 10 2L1 - cooker

flat 9 is the same i.e
3L1 lighting
3l2 smokes etc etc!

It's unusual, but not wrong

then he's no business messing with things he does not understand. anyway he's just as likely to die from 240V as he is from 415V. just that 415V might be a tad quicker.

That amuses me when people say that. Just cause three phase is present it does not mean they will receive a 415V shock. They will get L1 or L2 or L3 to earth @ 240V. Someone would have to be an absolute moron to put themselves across two phases to receive 415V.

That amuses me when people say that. Just cause three phase is present it does not mean they will receive a 415V shock. They will get L1 or L2 or L3 to earth @ 240V. Someone would have to be an absolute moron to put themselves across two phases to receive 415V.

trouble is, a lot of users are absolute morons

Reply to Three phase supplying a domestic flat. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock