Discuss Time for some shopping.... core drill + cutter in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Think my plumber mate must be getting fed up with me borrowing his core drill and 110mm TCT cutter.

So time has come to buy myself one.

Any recommendations on both items please - will get used no more than about 12 times/year, so don't really want to spend megga bucks on the drill if poss.

I've got all Makita gear, but have been told by 2 different tool shops that this is the one that will suit me ??

Home - Products - Powertools - Diamond - Diamond Drilling - Dry Diamond Drill - DEWALT

Cheers Sy

Buy the best quality cores and core drill you can afford. I can recommend "Norton" as I used these a lot in the past. Last year I was unable to obtain "Norton" from my supplier, in the sizes I required for a particular job. I decided to give "Marcrist" a try, what a revelation. Absolutely superb, speedy and efficient cutting, used either wet or dry. I've cut nearly a hundred holes with a "Marcrist" 117 x 165 CCU850X and still have well defined sharp diamond lands.
Core drills generally come in two forms: - 1) The conventional chuck type takes a hex arbor. 2) The threaded tool holder type takes a screw fit arbor. The former, allow you the flexibility of a standard drill. The later, higher torque of a direct drive at the expense of more laboured tool changing.
Of the chuck type the Makita 8406 is fine example, offerings from Dewalt and Bosch are better, but my personal favorite is the Milwaukee DD2-160XE.
Direct drive types are the professional choice however. The Marcrist DDM2 and DDM3 allow wet and dry cutting at fixed speeds. I have never felt the need for variable speeds when using one of these machines. I find them remarkably efficient when paired with the same make of core cutter. The Hilti DD120 and 130 are the firm favorites with the majority of my work mates, due to their shorter body length.
What ever you choose to buy, don’t be tempted to use an SDS drill to drive a large core cutter. The SDS tool holder is very inefficient when used in the hammer stop mode, a large core drill will quickly stress and wear the tool holder and ultimately destroy a SDS if it does not have thermal protection.
If you suspect your drill of getting excessively hot, stop drilling, switch to the max speed range and run it flat out for least 5 minutes in free air to allow the motor fan to cool the windings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Markie, you sure are a wealth of in depth, relevant knowledge.

Id heard that said about cooling a drill before and never knew whether to believe it or not.

Buy the best quality cores and core drill you can afford. I can recommend "Norton" as I used these a lot in the past. Last year I was unable to obtain "Norton" from my supplier, in the sizes I required for a particular job. I decided to give "Marcrist" a try, what a revelation. Absolutely superb, speedy and efficient cutting, used either wet or dry. I've cut nearly a hundred holes with a "Marcrist" 117 x 165 CCU850X and still have well defined sharp diamond lands.
Core drills generally come in two forms: - 1) The conventional chuck type takes a hex arbor. 2) The threaded tool holder type takes a screw fit arbor. The former, allow you the flexibility of a standard drill. The later, higher torque of a direct drive at the expense of more laboured tool changing.
Of the chuck type the Makita 8406 is fine example, offerings from Dewalt and Bosch are better, but my personal favorite is the Milwaukee DD2-160XE.
Direct drive types are the professional choice however. The Marcrist DDM2 and DDM3 allow wet and dry cutting at fixed speeds. I have never felt the need for variable speeds when using one of these machines. I find them remarkably efficient when paired with the same make of core cutter. The Hilti DD120 and 130 are the firm favorites with the majority of my work mates, due to their shorter body length.
What ever you choose to buy, don’t be tempted to use an SDS drill to drive a large core cutter. The SDS tool holder is very inefficient when used in the hammer stop mode, a large core drill will quickly stress and wear the tool holder and ultimately destroy a SDS if it does not have thermal protection.
If you suspect your drill of getting excessively hot, stop drilling, switch to the max speed range and run it flat out for least 5 minutes in free air to allow the motor fan to cool the windings.

Blimey Mark thats some reply - greatly appreciated, think I'll be spending the extra dosh then and go for a Marcrist. Dear I ask how much ? (£100 - £150 at a guess without googling)

Cheers Again,

Sy

I have no complaints about the Makita 8406 still going well after 15 years moderate use

As an indication of value for money, all the hire shops I use have the Makita 8406 drills. You can get them for £200 - £250 new by having a look on the 'net and eBay.

Would be nice to stick with Makita.... reckon it's the chap in the tool shop bluffing me (he's know for that!) about the Dewalt one, he must be getting at a special rate or something similar.

As an indication of value for money, all the hire shops I use have the Makita 8406 drills. You can get them for £200 - £250 new by having a look on the 'net and eBay.

It is a good point you make I buy a lot of power tools on recommendation from a couple of lads I have known for years in the local hire shop. One of lads does the repairs and knows what is good and bad and will admit even makita get it wrong occasionally with some of the tools they have produced

Generally if it's good enough for a hire fleet where the tools are abused then it'll do more than I need

That's pretty much my thinking too UNG. If it's works OK for the hire shops with the use and abuse they get, it should work well for me too. I look at how often I'll use something, work out the hire cost for the year, then see if it's cheaper to own one.

Do not touch the Dewalt it will have your arm off we had them at BG and they were lethal if you where up a ladder,clutch not quick enough,no one liked them,I use makita no probs but my mate who cores for a living all day every day uses marcrist,so both are good plus marcrist has cooling capability if needed.

Treated myself over Xmas to a Marcrist DDM2 and CCU850X kit... :builder:

Had its first trial run today, now that is some serious kit, I would highly recommend spending the extra and going for it.

Can see this lasting me a lifetime, a good investment

Reply to Time for some shopping.... core drill + cutter in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock