Discuss Timeguard rcd socket won’t trip with tester. Help please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

dnjr

-
Reaction score
Dear All
Installation tncs. Wyler re-wireable fuses
I’ve fitted 2 x timeguard rcd sockets to provide protection for extension leads going outside but neither will trip with my tester. Trip fine on test button
Also trip when I do earth loop test ( fluke tester)
Socket tester says it’s all ok
Zs before I changed to rcd socket was 0.45
Doesn’t trip on ramp test
Ze 0.21
What the hell am I missing

Advise appreciated
Cheers

Circuit IR results?

Does your test meter trip other RCDs?

I've come across faulty SRCDs out of the box before. Obviously without having seen the installation I can't say that this is the case here but certainly it is possible.

I've come across faulty SRCDs out of the box before. Obviously without having seen the installation I can't say that this is the case here but certainly it is possible.
Hi Risteard
I thought of faulty rid but to have two , one single socket one double would be very odd. I rang timeguard and they said it was possible so am getting two more from wholesaler but don’t expect it to cure it
To be honest I was expecting someone to rip me a new one and say I’d missed something obvious

Agree with Strima, think you may have an IR fault. Have you done that test? Had similar experiences before, RCD not tripping & RCD tripping on Zs test. Both done to IR fault, neutral earth. That said, that was RCD at origin of circuit, but worth considering.

are they passive or active rcd sockets?
I had an issue testing rcd sockets before now, they were passive ones, simply didnt always trip on a 1 or 5 x test. They were passive ones, they were a new generic unbranded model out at the time and cheap nasty stuff from far east. I took them back for a refund and turns out they later got recalled as the passive circuitry inside was no good.
I have heard that passive as opposed to active rcd sockets can cause issues with testing as they have the reset part built in.

are they passive or active rcd sockets?
I had an issue testing rcd sockets before now, they were passive ones, simply didnt always trip on a 1 or 5 x test. They were passive ones, they were a new generic unbranded model out at the time and cheap nasty stuff from far east. I took them back for a refund and turns out they later got recalled as the passive circuitry inside was no good.
I have heard that passive as opposed to active rcd sockets can cause issues with testing as they have the reset part built in.
These are timeguard active ones. I wondered if they need a ‘special ‘test but apparently not

Agree with Strima, think you may have an IR fault. Have you done that test? Had similar experiences before, RCD not tripping & RCD tripping on Zs test. Both done to IR fault, neutral earth. That said, that was RCD at origin of circuit, but worth considering.
Yep. IR test done before I started
L/e 180m. L/e 179m. Limited l/n as I couldn’t get to dishwasher or washing machine sockets

Yep. IR test done before I started
L/e 180m. L/e 179m. Limited l/n as I couldn’t get to dishwasher or washing machine sockets

Dear All
Installation tncs. Wyler re-wireable fuses
I’ve fitted 2 x timeguard rcd sockets to provide protection for extension leads going outside but neither will trip with my tester. Trip fine on test button
Also trip when I do earth loop test ( fluke tester)
Socket tester says it’s all ok
Zs before I changed to rcd socket was 0.45
Doesn’t trip on ramp test
Ze 0.21
What the hell am I missing

Advise appreciated
Cheers
Just been informed I’ve reached 100 posts. Does that mean I can attend the electricians arms. Could murder a pint

Reply to Timeguard rcd socket won’t trip with tester. Help please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net