Discuss Timeguard rcd socket won’t trip with tester. Help please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi - can I ask which model you're testing? I've seen one that had a weird (to me anyway) separation between the 2 earth connections on the device. If you had that problem your tester would probably not attempt the test, so it's a long shot :)

Timeguard rcd socket won’t trip with tester. Help please IMG_0571.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Why would having that plugged in stop them tripping
Not heard of an appliance stopping rcd tripping

You learn something every day.

PS The appliances may not cause the RCD, not to trip, but it may cause your MFT, to fail to test the RCD.

Last edited:
Hi - can I ask which model you're testing? I've seen one that had a weird (to me anyway) separation between the 2 earth connections on the device. If you had that problem your tester would probably not attempt the test, so it's a long shot :)

View attachment 41331
Hi Wilkinson
Single is TFA01w
Double is TFA05w
Single only had one earth connection
Double had 2 I think as in a standard double socket
Cheers

These are timeguard active ones. I wondered if they need a ‘special ‘test but apparently not
If Timeguard sockets are anything like the timeswitches........stopped using their timeswitches because of constant comeback calls. Not used their RCD sockets but would have no confidence in them at all.

If Timeguard sockets are anything like the timeswitches........stopped using their timeswitches because of constant comeback calls. Not used their RCD sockets but would have no confidence in them at all.
Oh bugger

I can’t speak for the RCD devices referred to herein but I tend to use Timeguard PIR sensors( for switching lights inside & out) in preference to the doorbell manufacturers models that my wholesalers peddles. Never had any trouble with them.

We tend to be influenced by bad experiences, I have used a lot of timeguard socket box mounted timers and completely lost confidence in them, loads of faulty ones and wasted time on comeback. Probably not fair to condemn other timeguard products because of that though, I confess I've never fitted a timeguard RCD socket.

Dear All
Installation tncs. Wyler re-wireable fuses
I’ve fitted 2 x timeguard rcd sockets to provide protection for extension leads going outside but neither will trip with my tester. Trip fine on test button
Also trip when I do earth loop test ( fluke tester)
Socket tester says it’s all ok
Zs before I changed to rcd socket was 0.45
Doesn’t trip on ramp test
Ze 0.21
What the hell am I missing

Advise appreciated
Cheers
Dear All
Thanks for everyoned
Dear All
Installation tncs. Wyler re-wireable fuses
I’ve fitted 2 x timeguard rcd sockets to provide protection for extension leads going outside but neither will trip with my tester. Trip fine on test button
Also trip when I do earth loop test ( fluke tester)
Socket tester says it’s all ok
Zs before I changed to rcd socket was 0.45
Doesn’t trip on ramp test
Ze 0.21
What the hell am I missing

Advise appreciated
Cheers

Dear All
Prize goes to Midwest
It was load for some reason. Unplug everything and all’s well
Nothing in particular stopped the test but the combination did. Not sure I get it but I’m testing the installation so all good
Can I have a pint now westward ??

had a timeguard outside RCD double socket fitted here by me 8 years ago. never a problem and tests consistently every 6 months.

Timeguard rcd socket won’t trip with tester. Help please {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Anyone else had problems with these? Gone back to Grasslin now. One job I did recently with two of these Timeguard units controlling towel rails had to replace both within 3 months due to unreliable operation.

Timeguard rcd socket won’t trip with tester. Help please {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Anyone else had problems with these? Gone back to Grasslin now. One job I did recently with two of these Timeguard units controlling towel rails had to replace both within 3 months due to unreliable operation.

If I might say, that looks very passé. You should be installing these nowadays :)

I've used quite a few of their RCD sockets/fcu's, never had any problems,
I use them all the time for factory replacements... good stuff.
On the other hand, someone put some Chint equivalents in a while back and they are rubbish. They even seem like the wrong back boxes, so badly fitting.

Reply to Timeguard rcd socket won’t trip with tester. Help please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock