Discuss Timers on LED Lighting Circuits in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jumper

-
Reaction score
Given the demand for low energy lighting in new build/major extensions it seems that the LED technology leads the supporting equipment such as dimmers and timers.

The problem I have is that a client wants to put all the lights on each of four circuits on a 24/7 timer for security purposes (each timer can be switched in and out of its respective circuit). Not all of the lights in any particular circuit will be switched on when using the timer but he doesn't want to limit which, or how many, lights he chooses to use. He has had this done before when using incandescent lighting using something like the Timeguard NTT04. No problem for tungsten/halogen - these timers can manage 2.4 Kw but the limit for LED is just 100W. One of the main circuits has 35 lamps which, if they all were to use 8W LEDs and were all switched on would mean the timer handling 280W. This is mainly a retro fit so we can't easily split this circuit and use more timers.

Without getting silly with industrial timers, does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations?

The problem is caused by the reactive nature of the load that LED lamps and their power supplies present to the timers switching element. You can get around this by using a contactor to switch the lights directly and the timer just operates the contactor. This way the contactor can be as chunky as you like. easily replaceable and almost any timer can be used. Easy as !

The problem is caused by the reactive nature of the load that LED lamps and their power supplies present to the timers switching element. You can get around this by using a contactor to switch the lights directly and the timer just operates the contactor. This way the contactor can be as chunky as you like. easily replaceable and almost any timer can be used. Easy as !

Thanks for the suggestion - if there is no other way it may come to using a contactor but I was hoping there might just be a reasonably priced integrated solution which I have not yet found.

Reply to Timers on LED Lighting Circuits in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net