Discuss Tis 1850 multi function tester problem in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all I have a problem with my new multi function tester it's a tis 1850.
Tester has decided it doesn't want to dead test (r1+r2, insulation resistance, earth electrode)
It will test zs and rcd tests fine don't know if it's something I'm doing wrong or if the damn things nakered already.
Any help appreciated as it doesn't come with instruction booklet for some reason so ugh for catering for the idiot lol

I've got one of these and find it to be so temperamental. With mine you have to be very patient.

For dead tests make sure it is just the red & black leads that are connected to their respective terminals and sometimes it is a case of firmly pressing the test button and leave it pressed for slightly longer than normal.

I know that sounds a bit silly but it is what I have learnt to do to get mine to cooperate. When I get some money together the first thing I'm going to do is bin mine and get a decent Megger!!!

I hope this might help. Let me know how you get on.

Must say they look pretty good, and they aint cheap. Surprised you are having a problem. I wouldn't assume you are going to fare any better with a megger necessarily.

Thanks spunkywads will get the meter out in a bit and have a play see if I can get it to cooperate got a big test on tomorrow and Tuesday so of course it would play up now lol

I used to have a mft 1553 had it for years and as you say never missed a beat but it was getting tired so thought it was time for a change. Might be regretting that which is a shame cause as vortigern says they ain't cheap (got mine on a good deal mind you) and the spec and build quality of the 1850 is great, hopefully it's just one of those things.

I used to have a mft 1553 had it for years and as you say never missed a beat but it was getting tired so thought it was time for a change. Might be regretting that which is a shame cause as vortigern says they ain't cheap (got mine on a good deal mind you) and the spec and build quality of the 1850 is great, hopefully it's just one of those things.
should have stuck with the megger, my 1553 was bought 2nd hand from a respected forum member 4 years ago and still going strong. flew through calibration again in July.

Also as silly as it sounds, press the help button when carrying out a test and it will tell you which leads should be connected. I used to leave the green lead in but used the red & black and found it would not work etc....

I was looking at the tis 1850 but for the cost of them i bought a megger mft 1721 which im glad i did.

think he's gone to stick his head in his multi-function oven.

Hi guys sorry for late reply been busy with testing but not with my meter lol.
Thought I had sorted it but oh no first thing Monday morning meter refused to test has gone back to tis to be repaired.
Not bad considering I've only owned it since February, not impressed also the battery life sucks tested two consumer units needed new batterys. Oh tis you let me down!!!!!!!

New update tester went for repair two weeks later got tester back took it out on Friday to do some testing , tested one ze,pfc got result went to test r1+r2 would not test wouldn't even zero leads.
Annoyed phone call to wholesalers who said that Tis tech would ring me as it passed inspection when it was there (nice way of trying to say I'm using it wrong :mad:).
1/2 hour later still no call so I rang them,
The tester was picking up a voltage when not connected to anything so they took me through a complicated engineer reset which cleared the voltage but then it was reading 64 ohms (ish) when no leads even in the tester. Was told a resistor had failed in the unit must of become dislodge in transit and it would have to go back again for repair.
By this time I'm peeded right if got stern ask to speak to someone who could arrange for a refund as I could not ever trust thus meter.
One quick time on hold while the manager was spoken to and I was given a full refund pending a meter inspection to make sure it was resistor.
Went straight out and bought a megger 1721 which wholesaler had on offer now am very happy.
Sorry merger should of never strayed from you lol. :) :D

Shame really the tis 1850 looks like it could be a good mft but its the new kid on the block & it seems to have reliability issues. Also their pricing is high as you can get a megger which is tried & tested.

I got my megger 1721 off ebay for a about £450 & have been really pleased with it.
Easy to use & reliable, does what its meant too.

not another person brought a pretender MFT that fails Megger is the only company
started from scratch. where other companies buy a Megger take it apart a say we will
make a tester like this .

Reply to Tis 1850 multi function tester problem in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock