• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss TN-CS main bonding cable typical leakage current question. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

w0z

-
Reaction score
OK I'm prepared for the usual onslaught so here goes...

I recently bought a clamp meter Uni-T UT210E.
The first thing I did was check it out against my trusted AVOs and also a couple of other cheapo DMM's, (measure current through wire through probes and compare to clamp reading). The clamp is more accurate than I expected even at low currents (milliamps) or at least mostly the meters all agree with each other (although they could all be wrong!)
So in the spirit of playing with my new toy I thought I'd see how my power monitoring meters stood up. I suspected they were under reading, they are. I never believed them at low power anyway and
as consumption increases the discrepancy reduces considerably as you would expect but not too bothered about this as there is no means of calibration anyway.

I also measured around the earth cable which is connected from the cutout to the main earthing block, expecting to measure almost zero, but the reading was higher than I expected - (no clues given here as looking for real world earth return figures and opinions). What figure would you typically expect?

Caveat: I admit I didn't isolate everything I should/could have (I had to avoid incurring the wrath of SWMBO, and so I will be repeating test at a later date ) Consequently there were a few 'elderly' earthed appliances which could have had some bearing by leakage or induced currents, but no lights on, led or otherwise.

Opinions gratefully received.

On industrial installations we sometimes see > 20Amps earth current but I'd expect a domestic installation to be less than an Amp.

With a TNCS earthing arrangement you should do the same test with the power switched off at your CU. The current you're seeing probably isn't all from your installation.

On industrial installations we sometimes see > 20Amps earth current but I'd expect a domestic installation to be less than an Amp.

With a TNCS earthing arrangement you should do the same test with the power switched off at your CU. The current you're seeing probably isn't all from your installation.

Good point- thanks, will do when circumstances allow.

Interesting experiment :)
Domestically I expect to see only a few mA per circuit. The domestic additional protection RCDs will trip somewhere between 15mA and 30mA of earth current.
If I may ask - do you have metal gas and water pipes ?

Last edited:
Domestically I expect to see only a few mA per circuit. The domestic additional protection RCDs will trip somewhere between 15mA and 30mA of earth current.

Thanks, yes, both metal.
It may be a while before I can de-energise all and measure again.

Agree with Marvo, there can be all sorts of external circulating currents from your main EB passing through the EC, that's a fact of life with TN-C-S and one of the reasons larger bonding cables are specified. You might see anywhere between zero and tens of amps under normal conditions, there are so many variables it's hard to predict. In any case it bears no direct relation to your leakage current, in fact if you put heavy load on you will probably find it correlates more with the load current.

I forgot to add that of course the RCD won’t trip unless it measures a L/N imbalance, irrespective of earth leakage (unless the leakage is causing the imbalance) ...apologies for stating the bl**din’ obvious!

The imbalance is the earth leakage, they are the same thing by definition (at least for all practical purposes). It's the earthing conductor current that is a different kettle of fish and that is what you are measuring here. It consists of the small leakage current from your own installation (that the RCD can detect, as it results in a differential current in the circuit) plus any currents passing to extraneous parts via both the bonding and CPCs. Although the latter are only driven by low voltages, typically the few volts of drop along the distribution and service cables, they are passing through a very low loop resistance maybe of fractions of an ohm, so the currents can dwarf the leakage current by orders of magnitude.

The imbalance is the earth leakage, they are the same thing by definition (at least for all practical purposes). It's the earthing conductor current that is a different kettle of fish and that is what you are measuring here. ....
Thanks, yes perhaps I didn't put it well but that was precisely the point I was trying to make - that extraneous current measured on the earth conductor is not necessarily the result of L/N imbalance in the property.

Reply to TN-CS main bonding cable typical leakage current question. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back