Discuss TNCS Outbuilding earthing arrangement in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

swifters

I have a large shed (affectionately known as the warehouse) that is fed by a 16amp rcbo. The main earthing arrangement at the distribution boards is tncs and now a more experienced electrician than myself has stated that the earth in the 3 core 2.5mm armoured cable should be connected to a separate earth rod and make its own tt earthing arrangement rather than be fed back to the main supply, stating parallel paths are the reason. Is he right? Could anyone point to it the new regs book?

many thanks, Jon

I have a large shed (affectionately known as the warehouse) that is fed by a 16amp rcbo. The main earthing arrangement at the distribution boards is tncs and now a more experienced electrician than myself has stated that the earth in the 3 core 2.5mm armoured cable should be connected to a separate earth rod and make its own tt earthing arrangement rather than be fed back to the main supply, stating parallel paths are the reason. Is he right? Could anyone point to it the new regs book?

many thanks, Jon

Its nothing to do with parallel paths!!!!

The reason is that as Main Earth on a TN-C-S is derived from the Main N at the supply head, if you loose the the N at the head for any reason, all earthed equipment could become live and your RCD's, RCBO's have no neutral/earth to work correctly, leaving a very dangerous situation.

Thats why a TT is recommended, I don't think you will find any reg nos.

if you have extraneous parts in the shed, these would require a 10mm bonding conductor back to the house MET. also, no harm in adding a rod at the shed and keeping the TNC-S.

Its nothing to do with parallel paths!!!!

The reason is that as Main Earth on a TN-C-S is derived from the Main N at the supply head, if you loose the the N at the head for any reason, all earthed equipment could become live and your RCD's, RCBO's have no neutral/earth to work correctly, leaving a very dangerous situation.

Thats why a TT is recommended, I don't think you will find any reg nos.

Funny how they always pick on outbuildings though....never outside lights/sockets etc etc.

there is no reason why you cant connect the out building to the MET in the house, as long as as your Zs meets requirements and as Tel says, if there is extraneous parts in the shed then these would need to be connected to the MET also with a reading below 0.05 ohms, only then would you have to TT and divorce the earth from the house.

Thats what I thought. The trouble is my multi tester trips the rcbo everytime I do a Zs test.

so measure R1+ R2 and Ze , then calculate Zs.

many thanks, Jon

Obviously not as experienced as you first thought, ...is he!! lol!!

That's why a TT is Recommended by Who?? ...Scaremongers??
It's no more dangerous than the PME system you have in the main house.

I agree with Engineer54,
I wired a small office in a rear garden (approx 30 meters from main house ), 16mm armoured from isolator inside the house, then to office. I just extended the equipotential zone.
No need for TT

Sav

Many thanks everyone, I did think he may be a bit off the mark but I will calculate Zs just to be sure.

Right, got a reading of 0.5ohms for R1+R2 and 0.09 for Ze so even with adjustment for temperature table 41.3 states 1.44ohms or 1.15ohms adjusted for a 16amp RCBO so all good right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks everyone, I did think he may be a bit off the mark but I will calculate Zs just to be sure.

Right, got a reading of 0.5ohms for R1+R2 and 0.09 for Ze so even with adjustment for temperature table 41.3 states 1.44ohms or 1.15ohms adjusted for a 16amp RCBO so all good right?

Is the RCBO a type B?

If so that's for a 32A. For 16A it's 2.87Ω (2.3Ω adjusted) so looks like you're well under.

probably got a type c rcbo. in which case it is 1.44 (1.15 corrected)

I'm not sure if it's a type b or c. It's not as apparent as the MCB's. It's nsbs16 - something... They are Wylex RCBO's.

I'm not sure if it's a type b or c. It's not as apparent as the MCB's. It's nsbs16 - something... They are Wylex RCBO's.

Have a look at the pic at the bit in the circle...

TNCS Outbuilding earthing arrangement {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

This is a 16A type B. If it's type C it will say C16.

The bit underneath says NHXBS1B16 so that should give you a clue also

Reply to TNCS Outbuilding earthing arrangement in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock