Discuss TNCS - USING NEUTRAL AS EARTH IN BOARD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Im travelling abroad to a country that has no earthing arrangement and my friend would like me to do a bit of work on his house. My question is Whether or not i could create a link between the Neutral and Earth bar to create a tncs system.

I know it sounds strange but i have just been thinking for the past couple of days how they do it here in the uk. They do the same thing for tncs systems a link between neutral and earth.
Could someone shine some light on the subject as to why it cannot be done and how it can be done here then?

P.s i know a earth rod can be hit into the ground but want to explore all options.

Thanks

What country is it, you couldn't do it here but you would need to comply with the Regulations/Codes of that country.

There really are not any codes or regulations there. But we are talking away from any code or regs..just in terms of would it work, be safe and practical. Forget about regs for the moment

There really are not any codes or regulations there. But we are talking away from any code or regs..just in terms of would it work, be safe and practical. Forget about regs for the moment
Wash yer mouth out you naughty boy "forget the regs":mad::eek::oops::)

I know nothing of other countries,but here the star point of the supply transformer is connected to earth and spiked along its run to keep it at or close to earth potential
Probably,the star point is earthed
If the supply then comes direct without the neutral and earth being spiked,its then jointed at the load end,the property earth and the true earth may be at very different potentials

Just seen its Libya, Do they still have properties standing in that sorry land ?

I know nothing of other countries,but here the star point of the supply transformer is connected to earth and spiked along its run to keep it at or close to earth potential
Probably,the star point is earthed
If the supply then comes direct without the neutral and earth being spiked,its then jointed at the load end,the property earth and the true earth may be at very different potentials

Just seen its Libya, Do they still have properties standing in that sorry land ?

Thanks for answering the queston, many still happilly standing

I would be very cautious about creating your own TN-C-S system because as Des says over here it has to confirm with specific requirements to keep the PEN at a reasonable resistance to true earth. Not knowing the setup in Libya you would be taking a huge risk doing this particularly with the hazards known with regards to a lost neutral which happens here and who knows the system reliability there.

I would be very cautious about creating your own TN-C-S system because as Des says over here it has to confirm with specific requirements to keep the PEN at a reasonable resistance to true earth. Not knowing the setup in Libya you would be taking a huge risk doing this particularly with the hazards known with regards to a lost neutral which happens here and who knows the system reliability there.

You see this is where i cant get me head round it. Because in the uk they have tncs which is just a link , why can it not be done in every uk home. It also has the same risks as anywhere in the world for example loss of neutral.

Why for example is it different i a home where its tns . Theoretically couldnt i just not use the swa sheath as earth and just use a linkbetween live and neutral. I hope you can make some sense of what im saying

Where angels fear to tread ... I'd test it but probably go with RCD and TT at the home end. Making the outside of your coffee machine the same potential as the neutral in an unregulated environment is asking for a zap, IMHO.

UK currently not war torn and so we can rely upon the earth provided by the Distribution Network Operator. If DNO does not provide one, then TT and RCD is the go :)

Just to add a plug - it's only reliable because of the strict application of standards by hard working expert engineers keeping the UK distribution network in top shape. Sounds a bit corny but it is true, again IMHO.

But then why is it done in the uk the same problems can happen here????
Yes they can and it does but it is deemed an acceptable risk. But as Wilko says how regulated is the supply there because we have strict guidelines for PME here and that is not foolproof.

UK currently not war torn and so we can rely upon the earth provided by the Distribution Network Operator. If DNO does not provide one, then TT and RCD is the go :)

No thats not what i mean , forgot war and all that. Why is it that a in one house a tncs system here can be connected to neutral but in another house it cant?

Reply to TNCS - USING NEUTRAL AS EARTH IN BOARD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net