Discuss TNS earthing & clamp in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

TheCodboy

-
Arms
Reaction score
F61BE9F3-8B16-4CA1-BFF9-6AE199CBA489.jpeg Hi all, just looking for a bit of advice with regards to a new earth on a tns system. Should I take my new earth down to the clamp on the incoming cable or just to the met? I’m just wondering if I should be touching the clamp at all as it’s probably property of the dno? Ze is measured at 0.44 from the met.

Thanks for the info. So I am right in thinking that the clamp essentially belongs to the dno and I’m better off not touching it incase it snaps or shears?
If there's already a tail from the cable sheath to a block[MET] just connect into that, but if it's undersized by current standards I'd ask your local DNO to upgrade it.

Yeah it's not the right clamp, looks like a bonding clamp, which obviously shouldn't have ever been used. Pretty sure DNO clamps are usually angled on the inside so they don't cut into the or damage lead shefting and go BANG on the person tightening it up.

Well technically there's a Earthing conductor there, so just do your bit from the met and give them a call and just tell them the wrong clamp has been used and someone needs to come out a replace it, as it could potentially cause damage to the incoming supply.

Even if they do tell you to convert it to TT which they would prob tell you to do if the cable fell off the clamp, you would still have the issue of the wrong clamp being used.

We shouldn't be ever replacing clamps on the DNO or touching the clamps really. If you did and there was a problem I doubt wether our insurance would pay out either !!

Some DNO's use to fit these years ago, however now they have "lost" all data and dont have a record of providing TNS to the property.

I had this in south wales, called DNO - came out and quoted almost £200 to fit a new clamp.

Called NAPIT technical - Advised if readings are within limits its not our issue, make a note on the cert. Advise customer to liase with DNO.

I did read somewhere about some dno’s using them in the past. I’ll ring Stroma tomorrow and see what they say. I took a ze and it was fine (0.44).
Some DNO's use to fit these years ago, however now they have "lost" all data and dont have a record of providing TNS to the property.

I had this in south wales, called DNO - came out and quoted almost £200 to fit a new clamp.

Called NAPIT technical - Advised if readings are within limits its not our issue, make a note on the cert. Advise customer to liase with DNO.

Just to be clear. Never interfere with a BS951 clamp on the incoming cable. There is a real and distinct possibility of causing (especially older cables) a short and as mentioned a big bang. It is far too dangerous apart from the fact that you would be breaking the law. The risk factor is very high.

Reply to TNS earthing & clamp in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net