TNS

Discuss TNS in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Should I be getting a dead short at DB on ohms scale when connecting leads of ohm meter across neutral bar and earth bar or would that only apply to TNCS??

What reading are you getting and with what are you measuring it with.
Meggar 1720 mft...
My "issue" is I'm trying to figure out if I should or should not be getting a dead short.
I have a DB with dual supplies(A+B)

On A supply on ohms scale I am getting a dead short(0.03)ohms
On B supply I am showing open circuit.

They are fed from 2 different substations(both containing H.V transformers)

I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't be getting a short.And I maybe have a neutral earth fault,but due to only having a 3 pole switch I cant isolate the neutral unless I can get access to LV switchboards to remove neutral link on mccb
I was just trying to figure out generally if I should be expecting to see dead short.The cable run is just about 30M.

Ok, with TNS I would not expect to see 0.03 Ohms N-E. What size cables? And when you say 30m run - from where to where please?

Last edited:
Hi,bud,Could do with less of the dead short,as myself and six of my pals,are feeling the lack of diversity treatment ;)

Ok, with TNS I would not expect to see 0.03 Ohms N-E. What size cables? And when you say 30m run - from where to where please?
From DB to HV/LV substation 70mm cable (my understanding of tns is the neutral is derived from the earthed star point on the secondary windings .I'm wondering has the earth been omitted to the neutral.)

Assuming 70mm conductor size for both N, at 20C the resistance for 30m is about 0.024Ohms. And a 37m run would be 0.03Ohms. Unless I've made a no-coffee-yet mistake.

Last edited:

Reply to TNS in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net