Discuss To Crimp or not to Crimp??? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

shinypen

Hi.

I'm just starting out on my own and really appreciate the advice given here.

I'm installing my C/U (eventually to be used for my NICEIC assessment) and I need to extend all cables 30cms max. I've done lots or research and decided to crimp them and locate within an adaptable box.

I don't want to get the wrong type of ratchet tool and butt crimps. Are the following acceptable for 1.5mm2 upto 6mm2 (different coloured sleeves aside)?

http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/ratchet-crimping-tool-1-0-10mm/96561
http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/insulated-crimp-ebb-blue-butt-pack-of-100/47402

Also, is this the best approach? Reluctant to use din rails because of cost but will if it's the best way.

Many thanks, Rob.

Thanks both. Did think of wago connectors and suppose is really my preferred option, but for some reason was worried it'd look a bodge for a future inspection?

You could always get the DIN rail carriers and mount them on a DIN rail in your adaptable box and snap the Wagos on to them, or as Lee has just pointed out proper DIN rail terminals would be even better.

I wouldn't use standard off the shelf butt crimps for single core. Some people will disagree, but the advice I've been given and found when I went reading was don't do it, they aren't designed for single core.

Of course you could always use Wago din rail connectors, get the best of both worlds. I wonder how you view whether the box you connect in should be fireproof??? same as CU?

Excepting those for use with solid conductors.

I've never seen an insulated crimp suitable for solid core. Normally crimps for solid core cable need an indent or hex type crimp tool. I'd have thought this would damage the insulation.

You haven't by chance got a link to some have you? I've only ever used the uninsulated type and then applied my own insulation after.

Thanks everyone.

Does anyone have a recommendation for ratchets and crimps that are suitable?

In general is crimping still relevant now we have maintenance free wago boxes etc? Still trying to figure out what tools I need to start out with.

EBB which is the make sold by Screwfix are made by Davico.
Whilst the technical specs for their butt crimps is rather sparse, the info for their insulated ring terminals indicates that they are suitable for both stranded and solid cores.
There are a number of manufacturers which do provide spec sheets for butt crimps which state they are suitable for both stranded and solid conductors.

I was hoping they didn't need to be fireproof but not really sure what to base that on. No mcbs etc make it more like a junction box???

use din rail connectors. . no special tools required. what you save on not buying a crimping tool will pay for the din rail terminals.

Of course you could always use Wago din rail connectors, get the best of both worlds. I wonder how you view whether the box you connect in should be fireproof??? same as CU?

Of course it doesnt need to be metal, it doesnt house any switchgear. @shinypen you may gind when you come to do cu change that there is a bit of slack on the cables underfloor so you may not need to extend

Oh I see! Got pretty close then.

Had a quick look under floorboards. There's a small amount of slack there and might get a bit more if i look a few more joists away as well. Still really useful to get all these opinions for when/if it's not an option. Thanks all. I'll look in to the uninsulated ferrules as well.

Reply to To Crimp or not to Crimp??? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net