Discuss To Surge protect or not Surge protect that is the Question! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This is all really helpful stuff! Thanks guys (Although I resent them being referred to as Spuds! Haha) One question, perhaps a silly one. How are we supposed to ascertain the length of overhead or underground LV or HV network cables in order to complete the CRL risk assessment equation for Lightning strikes? I've phoned a mate at our local DNO and he doesn't think their maps would be available to mere Sparkies like what we is?

This is all really helpful stuff! Thanks guys (Although I resent them being referred to as Spuds! Haha) One question, perhaps a silly one. How are we supposed to ascertain the length of overhead or underground LV or HV network cables in order to complete the CRL risk assessment equation for Lightning strikes? I've phoned a mate at our local DNO and he doesn't think their maps would be available to mere Sparkies like what we is?

That scenario is covered in BS7671 and gives you a guide of I think 1000M. If you have to use the estimate distance in BS 7671 it is always going to direct you to install SPDs.

Didn't the bod who did the talk FOR the NICEIC (he's not NIC himself) say the financial cost was to be... either £1000 or £1500. If the risk of damage is over that in a domestic situation you have to fit a SPD?

Didn't the bod who did the talk FOR the NICEIC (he's not NIC himself) say the financial cost was to be... either £1000 or £1500. If the risk of damage is over that in a domestic situation you have to fit a SPD?
Don't know Richy, but I bet he was paid by the NICEIC.

Thats gotta be most houses, considering TVs, set top boxes, gadgets on charge, kitchen appliances etc etc etc. Wonder who came up with that figure?

I'm happy that SPD have a place. But at home I've never had an incident that caused damage, nor do I know anyone that has had an incident. So I rank them right up there with the 6mm 32A cooker bonfires on Christmas Day, just saying. :rolleyes: .

Am I correct in thinking surge devices are single use only and once used should be replaced?
How often is mr and mrs homeowner going to check that little window for a colour change? Oh every time that test their RCD ofcourse:confused:

Reply to To Surge protect or not Surge protect that is the Question! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net