Discuss To work live or not?? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Added some em lighting in a commercial unit recently. They're a heavily IT based company and were running their servers and network kit off the office ring, the whole db having a global 30mA RCD. Not so worried about working a live db but tripping that RCD!

There are many of a certain age who have worked live, for shame! ;)

Thing is now it is frowned upon, just like updated regs books we have to move with the tide.

One reason for it is the reduced competence of those being trained now, so they have to reduce the risks.
Training now is not what it was.

One comment on the hospital works.

When I work at my one of my local hospitals in their DB's I am not allowed to do my own isolation, nor even open the DB cover!
Their electrical engineer comes along, we test, we isolate, we test, he locks off, issues a ptw then we work.
Following this the process is reversed.
SO as far as working live in a board goes, in my local area no chance
!

That's fair enough Paul, if that's the Hospital Engineers procedures, then you follow them full stop!! It's a shame there isn't a National hospital code of practice, relating to working procedures, then everyone would know exactly where they stand. But alas it seems that every Hospital Engineer/manager has his own idea on these matters...

When I work at my one of my local hospitals in their DB's I am not allowed to do my own isolation, nor even open the DB cover!
Their electrical engineer comes along, we test, we isolate, we test, he locks off, issues a ptw then we work.
Following this the process is reversed.
SO as far as working live in a board goes, in my local area no chance!

All sounds very familiar Paul.

Thing is E54 there is!
HTM's there are several relevant 00, & 06-01 & 02 come to mind, but there are a couple more IIRC.

Perhaps someone should inform the Hospital Engineer at the OP's hospital then, as the electrician has been clearly told to work on the DB in a ''Live'' condition!!!

I work live sometimes on my own contracts due to my own laziness and liking decent lighting and a kettle working. I would not ask or even want anybody working for me to do the same and I would not do so if subbing to another company. The point of my earlier post is that while you would be very unlucky to be injured or die, it is extremely easy to cause a shutdown with almost any working.
Or maybe it's just me that does that?

jaresquire,
You do realise that if you get injured doing this even though you are perhaps "the boss" or even a sole trader, if you survive HSE may well prosecute you for contravention of statue law!

Carrying out any work whilst 'live' will be against the electricity at work regs and so a shut down should and could be arranged.
Wrong! The EAWR Regs state the work should be "not Live" where pratical to do so, if it isnt practical, live working is permitted.

Wrong! The EAWR Regs state the work should be "not Live" where pratical to do so, if it isnt practical, live working is permitted.

Not as simple as that. Not only must it be unreasonable in all the circumstances to work dead, it must ALSO be reasonable in all the circumstances to work live, and further precautions MUST be taken.

Reply to To work live or not?? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock