Discuss Today's find!......................... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I was due to install an additional socket on the ring. When I tested the ring I found a broken CPC. The customer was happy for me to fault find as they really wanted the new socket.

Split the ring, livened up the good side and immediately discounted all but 3 sockets (one ring for the whole house - 3 bed semi) which was amazing. Had a look at the 3 sockets and all were fine which is always a worry as it means junction box or a fault with the cable in the wall.

Narrowed it down to between 2 sockets and then took the plunge suggesting that the kitchen fitter from 30 years previous had drilled through a cable in the wall when putting the wall cabinets up. It wasn't a sheer guess, they were in line with one of the 2 sockets.

Took the cabinets down and found this:

Today's find!......................... 20190121_130518 - EletriciansForums.net
Doesn't it feel great when you find the fault! :)
I love being an electrician (apologies, Domestic Installer)! :)

Was there not a fault to earth?
You'd think so wouldn't you, but the rawl plug had insulated the L,Nand E from each other. The screw/rawl plug had completely sheered the CPC, and nicked well into the L and there was also copper showing on the N.

Ah kitchen fitters. had to quote for some remedials at start of month. customer wanted sockets moved and some new ones in her kitchen.
Kitchen fitter was meant to arrange a sparky, did his bit asked for payment and said arrange one yourself to the lady.
despite finding the cooker feed going diagonally across the wall, he marked it and still put his wall units on it and said to get that looked at! also decided to cover half of one of the sockets with his floor unit so it cant even be removed!
customer thinks i am expensive though as i quoted to install rcd enclosure for kitchen sockets and cooker to meet 18th edition regs. apparently the golden boy kitchen fitter has told her they arent needed as its only a spur for the new socket and moving them. he says that he reckons I am trying to rip her off with extra work.

I was due to install an additional socket on the ring. When I tested the ring I found a broken CPC. The customer was happy for me to fault find as they really wanted the new socket.

Split the ring, livened up the good side and immediately discounted all but 3 sockets (one ring for the whole house - 3 bed semi) which was amazing. Had a look at the 3 sockets and all were fine which is always a worry as it means junction box or a fault with the cable in the wall.

Narrowed it down to between 2 sockets and then took the plunge suggesting that the kitchen fitter from 30 years previous had drilled through a cable in the wall when putting the wall cabinets up. It wasn't a sheer guess, they were in line with one of the 2 sockets.

Took the cabinets down and found this:

View attachment 47320
Doesn't it feel great when you find the fault! :)
I love being an electrician (apologies, Domestic Installer)! :)
That is some surgical fault finding, well done.

Snap! Those kitchen fitters are bloomin good shots. This one had been on the wall for 20 years, circuit was all working too. Only found it as part of a kitchen refit jobby. That's oval conduit in the wall with 1mm lighting cable in it.
Today's find!......................... Simon kitchen cabinet mounting.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

View attachment 47326

Ah kitchen fitters. had to quote for some remedials at start of month. customer wanted sockets moved and some new ones in her kitchen.
Kitchen fitter was meant to arrange a sparky, did his bit asked for payment and said arrange one yourself to the lady.
despite finding the cooker feed going diagonally across the wall, he marked it and still put his wall units on it and said to get that looked at! also decided to cover half of one of the sockets with his floor unit so it cant even be removed!
customer thinks i am expensive though as i quoted to install rcd enclosure for kitchen sockets and cooker to meet 18th edition regs. apparently the golden boy kitchen fitter has told her they arent needed as its only a spur for the new socket and moving them. he says that he reckons I am trying to rip her off with extra work.
You should have given the Grenfell Tower Fridge Freezer fire spiel and added an AFDD to the quote.

Got to love Mr kitchen fitter. Open c.p.c on a recent kitchen refurb i did. After id spent an hour or so trying to find the fault, the customer decided to tell me “ oh yeah the kitchen guys said they hit a cable but they repaired it”. The repair is the little bit of tape where the live conductor has been nicked. You cant quite tell on the pic but they made a proper job on the c.p.c going straight through it.Today's find!......................... CDA8F803-C8C7-4975-B3EB-382703DD12C5 - EletriciansForums.net

Had a similar issue with RFC CPC continuity. I started going point to point around the property when I noticed a spur had been taken from the ring to supply a single socket. The cable was clipped surface and just didn't look right. One of the clips had piereced the metal capping and line and earth conductors. So much for initial testing prior to energising.

Today's find!......................... 20181016_104028 - EletriciansForums.net

Today's find!......................... 20181016_104656 - EletriciansForums.net

Today's find!......................... 20181016_105602 - EletriciansForums.net

Today's find!......................... 20181016_111107 - EletriciansForums.net

Today's find!......................... 20181016_112310 - EletriciansForums.net

That bottom screw in the single back-box looks well ground away as well !

Reply to Today's find!......................... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock