Discuss Toolstation Sockets? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

overskilled

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
Asked by the folks to add some double sockets to what will be a guest room and replace the existing sockets so they match. Not really fussed about looks as the room will be rarely used and at most a couple of lamps and a radio might be plugged in, along with the usual vacuum cleaner usage etc.
Considering MK or crabtree, however noticed that Toolstations DP 2G sockets come in around £2, worth a try or thin easily broken rubbish?
Thoughts?

Don't use the Toolstation own brand sockets they are really cheap and nasty. Very thin brittle and the earth bar to connect to is so flimsy when you tighten the connection it bends!!!!!

Just spend a few more quids and get a decent brand.
In Screwfix Crabtree are £3 and MK£4 they are so cheap it's really not worth cutting corners.

Last edited:
Figured as much, LAP in Screwfix are tolerable for low use light switches, though had one or 2 with screws that overhauled all of a sudden.

Pretty much going to go with MK on looks basis Keep my mother happy and minimise protusion (she is a devotee of minimalism), albeit if there are any issues (I've heard a few grumbles a while back about QC issues at MK) I'll be going back to buying crabtree or contactum (which are alright albeit brittle)

I agree with the above, I find toolstations gear a bit cheap and nasty.. Use it for cable as a last resort but never for accessories. I learnt my lesson after buying gear for the inlaws rewires.

Just glad it was not a paying customer..

You can buy Hager or Crabtree breakers for £2 ish from some wholesalers.

HAHA, I meant sockets, sorry crossed thread with Murdoch wanting a RCBO, I got all confused, blame E54 haha, okay sockets then :smilielol5:

Don't use the Toolstation own brand sockets they are really cheap and nasty. Very thin brittle and the earth bar to connect to is so flimsy when you tighten the connection it bends!!!!!

Just spend a few more quids and get a decent brand.
In Screwfix Crabtree are £3 and MK£4 they are so cheap it's really not worth cutting corners.

As said, MK are good, only a few pounds at screwfix, can go to the shop or they do next day delivery...

lots of problems with housing associations due to cowboy sparks (ie general jack of all trade kitchen/bathroom fitters) fitting cheap crap sockets and switches.....cheap ones fall apart and also jam up inside so that they are hard to use....

Crabtree and MK are very good...

prefer clik mode. well made and look good. never have problems getting the plugs in. some of these cheap sockets, you have to use a hammer to get 'em in and a crowbar to remove them.

I sent click mode an email asking about nearest supplier a couple of days ago....as yet....no reply...
Then again they aren't the only company who provide an email address yet forget to answer said emails.
I hate Marbro....their surface backboxes in particular are extremely crap, had the thread pull out of more than one pattress box, never had that issue with other brands, not even the contactum replacement that was cheaper.

I sent click mode an email asking about nearest supplier a couple of days ago....as yet....no reply...
Then again they aren't the only company who provide an email address yet forget to answer said emails.
I hate Marbro....their surface backboxes in particular are extremely crap, had the thread pull out of more than one pattress box, never had that issue with other brands, not even the contactum replacement that was cheaper.

electric center do them . so do cef.

Normally use GET ultimate aka Schneider or Wilts plus, look very good and are cheap

Would be using click all the time if my local stocked them as their grids are fantastic and as above the gear is quality

Reply to Toolstation Sockets? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock