Discuss Torque screwdriver settings in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Things change. It was changed before me and there isn't much I can do about it. Some things were probably better back then but a damn sight more has improved over the years.

I'm new to the industry and I'm trying to work and adhere to what is current and what is going to improve standards.
you'll always get tghis banter off us old farts. jeez, it took me years to get used to these new-fangled meters with digtoes read out. kept tapping mine to try and see a needle move.

we never had these new-fangled talking screwdrivers 50 years ago. and we never had loose terminations either. is it a catch22? the invention of the drivers propagates loose terminals, or is it loose terminals propagate the tools. don't matter a damn now anyway. we fit metal CUs, so poor termination is cured at a stroke.

Yep 50 years ago we moved from newspaper to this;
Torque screwdriver settings upload_2017-7-10_22-5-5 - EletriciansForums.net

it's not about that telectrix, it's about wanting to provide a professional and safe service. No matter how good you think you are, you don't have a torque mechanism in your wrist and I bet you have over or under tightened a mcb before. No ones perfect but we can all try to be

Buying a torque screwdriver won't allow to provide a professional or safe service & if you think buying a torque screwdriver will help you become perfect at the job then God help you.
Give it a couple of years & they'll no doubt change their minds and say they shouldn't be used.

Buying a torque screwdriver won't allow to provide a professional or safe service & if you think buying a torque screwdriver will help you become perfect at the job then God help you.
Give it a couple of years & they'll no doubt change their minds and say they shouldn't be used.
They push trainees into buying torque screwdriver sets during the Part P courses don't they?

Why won't it help me to provide a safer and professional service? It's a way of accurately and consistently measuring whats happening. If not for my own security and peace of mind but for any circumstances where a discrepancy may occur and proof of quality of work is required.

Why won't it help me to provide a safer and professional service? It's a way of accurately and consistently measuring whats happening. If not for my own security and peace of mind but for any circumstances where a discrepancy may occur and proof of quality of work is required.
Nothing like the feel of a good old tweak with the driver to make you feel secure, there are some who admit to using an electric screwdriver to make connections:fearful::fearscream:

Nothing like the feel of a good old tweak with the driver to make you feel secure, there are some who admit to using an electric screwdriver to make connections:fearful::fearscream:
i do use one. and it's got torque settings. :p

if you feel comfortable using one, then by all means, that's your preference. same as some like the notches in sidecutters for stripping, some don't.it's all down to persolnal likes.

Maybe you need to learn to tighten screws properly with a real screwdriver first, Incorrectly tightened connections are down to the operator not the tool used.
What's going to happen when your nice little torque screwdriver is in for calibration or won't reach the torque specified by a manufacturer ? Are you going to stop doing the job ? ( Very good old saying: Only a bad workman blames his tools for poor work). I've been doing this c**p for over 40 years & never had a problem with either loose or overtightened screws. Whether that be on CU's or accessories and truth be told I seriously doubt that Pete, Tel or any of the other guys have either.

I'm sure your a fine electrician, sure sounds like your the perfect example.

I have never had any issues with loose or over tightened terminals however I am new to the industry and Iv heard it mentioned before about torque settings and iv also seen a few sparks using them. I was just intrigued.

I better go and speak with quickfit and tell them to get rid of the torque impact guns and use a socket/wrench and some old fashioned man power. :p

as i said before, it's what you personally feel comfortable with.

Installed some Hager RCBO's today. Dusted off me torque driver, give it a whirl I thought, prompted by this thread. Read the manufacturers instructions for the torque settings...................................tumble weed............................nothing, didley squat, zilch. So tightened it to a tight thing, then a little more.

The product data sheet on their web site has the details, not useful unless you got a 4g signal :)

Reply to Torque screwdriver settings in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock