Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

3. Forum for Trainees.

If you are a trainee and haven’t already applied to join our trainee forum then click HERE The trainee forum is a closed area of the forum where the Forum Mentors will freely share their vast experience within the industry. 

Dismiss Notice

Discuss Torque screwdriver !!!!! in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. PaulDuncan

PaulDuncan Installation Electrician, Maint Electrician, EC&I

Anyone ever feel the need for one?
    Or been required to purchase one for an inspection....

Is it a world gone mad or are they worth it.

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Respected Member

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    waste of good beer funds.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Andy78

Andy78 Forum Mentor

I've never had one and not been asked if I have. Lots more to a good termination that torque alone.

If you are buying, my mate has a Wiha set and that seems good when I've used it. Have heard lots of bad reports of the Armeg ones for snapped bits under torque.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. PaulDuncan

Just curious as I've never needed one as feel becomes second nature after time.

Just wondered if anyone had been asked to produce one for any reason as I've heard them being mentioned by the ole house bashers for being part of Elecsa / NICEIC etc.

5. telectrix

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    wondering when niceic will offer a 1 day course @ £????? on how to use a torque driver.

• Funny Funny x 4
  6. FatAlan

FatAlan Trainee Trainee Access

Must admit that I’ve bought an Armeg set. One CU installation and so far, one of the blades has broken already with hardly any use. Shame really as I’d like to buy British if I can...assuming these particular blades are made of Sheffield’s finest!

7. telectrix

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    more likely beijing;s finest.

8. Flanders

Flanders Regular EF Member

I have looked at them several time but the cost puts me off , We get inspected every year and never been ask to produce one or been ask about them. I Just tighten up the connection with the correct bladed screw driver its not hard.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Paignton pete

Paignton pete Regular EF Member

Nic advised it. So I got one. Never use it.

Everytime I used to use it I checked after with normal screwdriver.
    I've cut out the middle man.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    The Armeg I bought lost the dial at the bottom and blades snapped. At the Elex show I spoke to the guy from Armeg and he suggested it was because we are all using the wrong size of blade! I said yes very likely I have only had forty years experience still working out how to use my battery drill! So to be fair they did send me a new handle with dial on anyway. Got the Wiha one much better for setting torques and so on. Never use them though, maybe sometimes...if someone is looking or I want to impress the young ladies.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. FatAlan

I can never find the manufacturers instructions with the torque settings.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    I have a set (where's my tin hat?). I was surprised at the lack of torque suggested for clamping tails into isolators. For example, BG state 2.5 Nm for their isolators and 3.5 Nm for their RCDs. It turns out one Wilko Twist is about 4 Nm :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. PaulDuncan

No-one was saying it was hard! Just wondering if people have been asked to show them for inspections. After 30 odd years Ive never had any issues and played with all sorts of switching gear up to and including 33KV. :)

14. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

I got a wiha torque screwdriver and spoke about at my assessments, that made the assessor forget the question he was about to ask me, so it has been worth the £100 I paid for it 4 years ago. Use that cunning plan every year :)

Needs calibrating, and has teeny weeny figures, which I can't read without a magnify glass & night sun torch.

15. FatAlan

I would counter Armeg’s argument that normally if you use the wrong size screw driver you either can’t get the torque to do the job, it doesn’t fit or it chews the head. The driver shouldn’t break.

• Agree Agree x 2