Discuss Torque settings - hmm in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Bought a torque driver today, any clue on recomended values for connector blocks, henleys, MCB ?

I imagine its cable size dependant? Anyone have a quick table i can print and laminate?

Please dont say manufacturer instructions! would be poop!

Ahh, but in the event of some misfortune, you'd need to say you tightened to the relevant manufacturer's instructions, not some other value you decided for yourself!

Unfortunately MIs are very variable (a bit like the torque settings).
Different items need different settings even if the items are from the same manufacturer.
Some items will break if you tighten them to the recommended torque!

This pdf that was available from the neweys website gives a (not quick) table of torque settings for a variety of manufacturers and parts but it could be out of date by now so do check. All parts that require torque settings should have the setting in the instructions (you know the annoying bit of paper that gets in the way of installing things!)

Attachments

• WI00_Torque_Setting_Data_Technical.pdf
    703.6 KB · Views: 34
How much you use it is up to you, but I always recall a tale some years ago from my electrical course tutor about a court case after a fire, asking to check the electricians tools, and finding no torque driver amongst them, so they could not have installed the equipment to MIs.

How much you use it is up to you, but I always recall a tale some years ago from my electrical course tutor about a court case after a fire, asking to check the electricians tools, and finding no torque driver amongst them, so they could not have installed the equipment to MIs.
He hasn't got that problem now! They will find a torque screwdriver!
Possibly very cleanly kept and looked after and not scratched at all!

igot mine from Britool:

Torque settings - hmm {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

One of our customers specified 10Nm on their connections, after a few fires they dropped this to 4.8Nm.

Having to possess a torque screwdriver in our feeble occupation :confused:

I suppose these metal consumer units are going to end up becoming flameproof equipment,at least the tool would then have a useful purpose :)

It seems to me health and safety is not the only place where the inmates have run riot:eek:

[QUOTE="
I imagine its cable size dependant? Anyone have a quick table i can print and laminate?
[/QUOTE]
It's very cable size depentent. CU manufacturers are (IMO) remiss not to always point that out clearly (some do). OK for bus bars and fat cables, but applying the "recommended" torque into a screw-down N or E terminal on domestic lighting can easily do this (pic). I've been called out and have come across CU with cables snapped right off. I often take the time to trim and re-dress the ends where I see this (which is quite often nowadays with the promotion of torque drivers). Torque settings - hmm Flat torque driver - EletriciansForums.net

Reply to Torque settings - hmm in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock