Discuss Totally confused - converting dimmers to switches in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have a double dimmer socket in my lounge, one operates ceiling lights, the other wall lights. The dimmers have both stopped dimming so I'm changing them to a double switch. Having removed the socket I can't make any sense of the wiring.

There are 2 cables entering the box; one (left) has red, black and earth, the other (right) has red, yellow, blue and earth.

The black and blue cables are connected together (not in the switch). From the right cable, the yellow (with red sheath) is attached to the right dimmer switch, L2. The red is connected to wiggle with a line through it. There is another short red wire connected between the same wiggle and the L2 on the left dimmer. The left cable red is connected to the wiggle on the left dimmer. All working OK as light switches.

So I have a double crabtree switch to replace the crabtree dimmer with. Its a 2g 2w switch with 2x L1, L2, L3, but how do I wire it as there's no wiggle; do I just use L3 instead of wiggle?

Total amateur, sorry!

Thanks

So... from those pictures....

Old ~ on left into new L2 on left
Old L2 on left into new L1 on left
Old ~ on right into new L1 on right
Old L2 on right into new L2 on right

I think that's it :) Sure someone will correct me if not :)

Edit - And don't forget the earth!

It looks like whoever fitted the dimmer wired it as 2 one ways and didn’t use the same labelled terminals on each switch.

The red that connects to the short red between the 2 switches is your feed. That’s the one that’ll give you a tingle if you don’t isolate the circuit.
Put this into L1 of both new switches.

The remaining red is a switch wire to one set of lights. This goes into L2 if one of the switches.
The yellow is the other switch wire- goes in the othe L2
Ignore the two L3’s.
Leave the black and blue connected in the box.

On your new switches just use L1 as the wiggle connections and L2 for the others.

Yeah, that works too... I'm just being picky because I like the feed to be in the most appropriate terminal and the it's not on the left hand old switch :)

Hi, thanks everyone. I used sparkychic's instructions as they arrived first. Thank you, lights work and no shocks. However, the switches now work in different directions...one switch is up for on, the other switch is down for on.

I know it's picky, but is it an easy fix?

Thanks

Reply to Totally confused - converting dimmers to switches in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock