Discuss Totally confused in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Nolnoc

-
Reaction score
I am a qualified electrician from Ireland.Due to the work situation over here(there is none) I am thinking of moving to the U.K for a bit. Whats confusing me from reading this forum is all the codes etc (part p).Could someone explain this to me please.I am almost 20 years in the business and have an Irish qualification(will it be acceptable).Are there different levels of qualification in the U.K.
Also is there any work over there.I am thinking of trying the Olympics surely ther is work there
Thanks in advance

part p only applies to domestics. ignore it if you are wanting to do commercial and industrial. as for quals, i thought irish were same as here.

There is hardly any work to be honest. Alot of the larger M + E firms i know of, are struggling. I work in commerical/industrial. For a large-ish firm. And were just ticking over.
Most sites will require you to have a JIB card to work as an electrician.

Part P is the building regulation which covers electrical work in dwellings, it is not applicable to commercial or industrial work. That is covered by the Electricity at work regs. There will no doubt be similar rules and regs in Ireland as there are over here.

I would contact the Electrical Contractors Association (ECA) in the UK and ask them the same questions.

Your Irish quals may or may not be comparable (but i dont see why they shouldnt be).

Cheers..Howard

Good luck in getting to work here as an electrician. I am pretty sure that the Irish wiring system is very similar, if not the same as the UK. If you contact the JIB or SJIB and ask about a grading card, I am pretty sure that they will have you believing you come from a third world country with unacceptable wiring practices. This will make sure that they can extract as may Punts from you as possible on courses, exams and certification. Keep your chin up, these people that are demanding certificates before you can wire up a plug are people who cannot do what you do. There are people over here with certificates up to their eyeballs, who are fantastic on paper, but absolutely useless on the tools. You will see a lot of them and be expected to carry them on site.

Thanks for the reply.I have worked with U.K sparks in the past and as far as I can gather the standards are pretty much the same.It would be industrial work I would be looking for work in.I will contact the ECA and see what the story is.I was offered a job years ago in heathrow T5 and nobody asked anything,but I suppose we live in different times now.Again thanks for response and any further info would be greatly appreciated.This country is on its knees

Good luck in getting to work here as an electrician. I am pretty sure that the Irish wiring system is very similar, if not the same as the UK. If you contact the JIB or SJIB and ask about a grading card, I am pretty sure that they will have you believing you come from a third world country with unacceptable wiring practices. This will make sure that they can extract as may Punts from you as possible on courses, exams and certification. Keep your chin up, these people that are demanding certificates before you can wire up a plug are people who cannot do what you do. There are people over here with certificates up to their eyeballs, who are fantastic on paper, but absolutely useless on the tools. You will see a lot of them and be expected to carry them on site.

Bang on, dont it stick in the craw.

Nolnoc,
Welcome to the cartel of British parasites that feed off the electrician whilst getting everybody except a spark to have a go at the trade, thus devalueing the trade. A qualified C&G spark cannot wire a kitchen unless he has Part P certification, however a kitchen fitter thats done a 2 week Part P course can. That just about sums it up.

Thanks for the reply.I got an email from the ECA and they said I need to take the 17th edition.They didn't say what it was.Is it a course or is it an exam?How much does it cost? I'm afraid that I would never pass an exam now it's been a while since I did any of that.

The regs exam should be no problem to any half decent spark to pass

Its an open book regs exam that takes about an hour on a computer
Perm any one answer from 4

I am almost sure that it can be be done as exam only, at selective centers
The Iee may be one of the centers

Dont let the 17 th exam put you off,kitchen fitters, plumbers, and tilers, do a 3 day course and pass

Reply to Totally confused in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net