Discuss Touch sensor light switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dannydee

Firstly, I understand normal domestic electrics, but not electronics.
I have a 240v 'capacitance touch sensor' light switch, see I LumoS Luxury Crystal Glass 1 Gang 1 Way Touch On/Off LED Light Switches | eBay The blurb states a minimum load of 3 watts. It works perfectly when used to switch a 15 watt light bulb on and off. However, I wish to use this switch to operate a 240v ventaxia bathroom extractor fan, rated at 4.3 watts and it doesn't work. If I connect both the bulb and the fan, they both work, but not the fan when connected on its own. The extractor fan is to be wired separately to the bathroom lighting, and I don't want to have to switch an additional light bulb on every time I switch the fan on. I'm guessing that I need to add a capacitor or resistor into the circuitry, in parallel with the fan, that will act as a 'substitution' for the light bulb. Please advise.

It's possible that the fan isn't presenting enough load for the capacitive touch switch to operate or it could be an incompatibility with electronics in the fan if there's an internal control board.

Simulating a lamp or bulb by adding a resistor is a bit pointless, a bulb is a resistor when it all boils down to it.

Reply to Touch sensor light switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hello, I've installed a Monsoon Extractor Fan kit today, all is up and running and everything is working with the exception of the LED. When I...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm replacing standard light switches in my hall and landing with touch switches (not smart, just touch on/off) like these from Amazon...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am a DIY home owner. 1. Are the lights on this ceiling fan able to be dimmed? Do I need special light bulbs for that? Is the light...
Replies
Views
My extractor fan has given up the ghost this week and I was hoping to replace it myself, however I cannot do a like for like swap as the current...
Replies
Views
My 4 year old son won't go to bed without the light being left on and insists his door is closed when I leave. When the door is opened later to...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock