Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Tough Choice [ Engineering] in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. bTom

bTom Guest

Hi,

What should you know:
    - I'm studying HND electrical engineering at college (2nd year)
    - I'm 19.

I've really hard times to choose between work or uni so I would like to ask older than me what should I do, here is a few choices:

1) Go to uni starting from year 1. I already get conditional for second year but it will be really hard for me to get them so I would have to start from year 1.
    If I would go to uni I would have to take an extra student loan because SAAS won't pay for first 2 years which will add £14k to my student loan account and then another £6k for 3 more years.

After uni I will end up with £27k student loan but with really high chances of getting a good job as an Energy System Engineer.

2) Go to work with my HND degree and work as an technician with fine wages and quite enjoyable work in electrical fields.

I didn't really think of something different but If you have any ideas you could share then I will really appreciate.

Thank for answers.

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Respected Member

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    if you get HND , it's only just below a degree. if you can find enjoyable work with HND, then that's the way to go.

3. johnboy6083

johnboy6083 Band Member Electrician's Arms

most jobs will take HND with experience anyway mate.

4. V

V Regular EF Member

work work work i got onc then did most of hnc without experience not much use if you ask me
    when i went for jib grading they didnt seem to want to know about them

5. pmac10

pmac10 Guest

agree with tele, finish it and work, if you dont like it a good HND (distinction/merit pattern) should gain you access to year 2 on a degree programme. on the flip side Vince, a jib grading would be of little relevance to your suitability for an HNC/D

6. V

V Regular EF Member

i know mate but this is an electricians forum and many ask about getting a jib gold card and trust me that will **** all over a hnd cert with no experience as i said before, i did the onc and the college said the hnc for free so i tried to fit in. i have never even put it on a cv once

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2011
  7. bTom

bTom Guest

Well that's what I thought.

I will still wait for more answer and I already talked with careers adviser and she give me a list of all possible places where I could find a really good job with HND degree. I believe that Uni would give me an opportunity to earn much more after period of time but how can I tell if I will get a decent degree ?

8. pmac10

pmac10 Guest

i see exactly what your saying Vince and no disrespect meant to you, but electrician covers a lot of ground on this forum, from cowboy to diy to electronics engineer to jib card holder to electrical engineering student.
    i am just giving advice as ive takin that route into electrical engineering (as the thread title suggests) and would recommend it.. most of the time;)

9. V

V Regular EF Member

ok mate none taken you dont pay me ! this is a forum so everyone can have a say !