Discuss Tough Choice [ Engineering] in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

bTom

Hi,

What should you know:
- I'm studying HND electrical engineering at college (2nd year)
- I'm 19.

I've really hard times to choose between work or uni so I would like to ask older than me what should I do, here is a few choices:

1) Go to uni starting from year 1. I already get conditional for second year but it will be really hard for me to get them so I would have to start from year 1.
If I would go to uni I would have to take an extra student loan because SAAS won't pay for first 2 years which will add £14k to my student loan account and then another £6k for 3 more years.

After uni I will end up with £27k student loan but with really high chances of getting a good job as an Energy System Engineer.

2) Go to work with my HND degree and work as an technician with fine wages and quite enjoyable work in electrical fields.

I didn't really think of something different but If you have any ideas you could share then I will really appreciate.

Thank for answers.

if you get HND , it's only just below a degree. if you can find enjoyable work with HND, then that's the way to go.

work work work i got onc then did most of hnc without experience not much use if you ask me
when i went for jib grading they didnt seem to want to know about them

agree with tele, finish it and work, if you dont like it a good HND (distinction/merit pattern) should gain you access to year 2 on a degree programme. on the flip side Vince, a jib grading would be of little relevance to your suitability for an HNC/D

i know mate but this is an electricians forum and many ask about getting a jib gold card and trust me that will **** all over a hnd cert with no experience as i said before, i did the onc and the college said the hnc for free so i tried to fit in. i have never even put it on a cv once

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that's what I thought.

I will still wait for more answer and I already talked with careers adviser and she give me a list of all possible places where I could find a really good job with HND degree. I believe that Uni would give me an opportunity to earn much more after period of time but how can I tell if I will get a decent degree ?

i see exactly what your saying Vince and no disrespect meant to you, but electrician covers a lot of ground on this forum, from cowboy to diy to electronics engineer to jib card holder to electrical engineering student.
i am just giving advice as ive takin that route into electrical engineering (as the thread title suggests) and would recommend it.. most of the time;)

ok mate none taken you dont pay me ! this is a forum so everyone can have a say !

Reply to Tough Choice [ Engineering] in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock