Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Toughest screwdriver bits in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Sparksaflyin

Sparksaflyin Regular EF Member

Anyone got any advice on the toughest screwdriver tips available. I’ve just bought the new Milwaukee (supposedly) impact resistant bits but they don’t seem to be lasting very long before they need replacing. I’m drilling into steel with techs as well as wood which obviously isn’t ideal with an impact but they should still be lasting longer than they are. Any advice?

2. spinlondon

spinlondon Trusted Advisor

I buy the own brand ones from ITS.
    Don’t know if they’re any better or worse than premium brands?

3. Dillb

Dillb Electrician's Arms

Having tried several different types in the past I have found the Dewalt ones to be about the best and get the best life span out of them

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. happyhippydad

happyhippydad Member Electrician's Arms

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

6. LankyWill

LankyWill Electrician's Arms

wiha diamond bits are the dogs, had a pz2 for about two years and it gets raped daily.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Andy78

Andy78 Trusted Advisor

All my Milwaukee impact rated bits are nowhere near as strong as I hoped. I have a Bosch PZ2 that I have had for ten years now and it's better than some month old Milwaukee bits.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bellendian

Bellendian Regular EF Member

I dropped 40quid on a fancy set of wiha bits. They've been less prone to shattering in the impact gun, but still wear out faster than I hoped.
    Sticking with the cheap tic tac boxes of dewalt or bosch now and just treat them as disposable.

9. Corbs

Corbs Regular EF Member

Wera impaktors

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. 123

123 Electrician's Arms

I've a Milwaukee impact rated bit holder, it's a pile of poo. In my helpers impact driver is a non impact rated CK one - it's older and in far better nick than mine.
    The impact rated Milwaukee bits are made of glass I think.

11. Marvo

Marvo Admin and gender confused Staff Member

Also Wera Impaktors for me. I suggest buy philips and pozi and get into the habit of using the correct bit for the screw, they last a lot longer that way.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Sparksaflyin

Yes the Milwaukee bits are not great to say the least. I always try to use the correct bits for the screwhead, obviously occasionally this is not possible but 90% of the time I’ll be using matching. The wera impaktors seem to be the general consensus. I have a few wera tools kicking about and tbh they are all very good quality. I’ll give them a go and see how I get on. Thanks for all replys

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sparksaflyin

Would you guys suggest using the matching bit holders too or does it not affect performance either way? I need to get an extension bar also

14. Dillb

Dillb Electrician's Arms

They are all the same size so its down to preference. I use a Millwaukee bit holder and its been fine for a couple of yesrs now and some abuse both physical and verbally, I even use my impact driver for spade bits too as they fit.

15. Corbs

Corbs Regular EF Member

Milwaukee extension are **** got one due to needing an extra long extension for a job first screw broken the retainer