Discuss Towel rail timer control in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

loulew

-
Reaction score
Hi all, I’m currently doing a bathroom re-furb and i’ve installed a dual fuel heated towel rad. It’s fed via an FCU outside the room which then currently goes to a kudox controller just underneath the rad, both of which are zone 2.

The client has just asked how to use the controller and I’ve explained that he just needs to turn it on in the summer to warm the towels. But he doesn’t like having to turn it on before use and would prefer it on a timer.

My question is, does anyone know of any timed controller that can be used for towel rails, obviously needs to be ipx4 as in zone 2.

Thanks in advance for any reply’s.

Yeah I did have a little look at the time guard gear, unfortunately the FCU also controls the underfloor heating so switching out just that isn’t really an option.

Not ideal to have them both on the fcu but having said that I have never seen a timer on a towel rail. I can't see you getting an IPX4 timer so you would have to divert the final connection to the rail outside of the zone.

I agree that it isn’t ideal, I put the option forward to run a new supply but the disruption put them off. The UFH is only about 4m2 and the towel rad element 150w, so not exactly massive loads.

It was a long shot asking about an ipx4 timer, just thought I’d ask in case someone has used one before.

The bathroom is all tiled and nearly finished so any work I do will have to be to the outside and as Midwest said just a flex outlet on the inside.

Have a quick scan of the net. I had a brief look and found this Outdoor Timers - Clipsal by Schneider Electric - https://www.clipsal.com/My-Home/Products/Timers/Outdoor-Timers
It doesn't look great for the bathroom but keep looking and you may find others.
I agree with the client, I always use a timer with a towel radiator. It would be a right pain to switch it on half an hour before hand every day... and remember to switch it off every time.
As Davesparks said, fit it outside the bathroom somewhere. It doesn't even need to be that close. Once it's set you generally leave it alone. Perhaps in the loft if there is absolutely no where else available, not ideal, but a solution. Maybe in a closet in a room nearby? Airing cupboard would be best, but I expect that is not an option otherwise you would have taken it.

Yeah I just saw the dual output thermostats, however it’s a bit late for that now as the UFH thermostat is across the room from the supply, cables run under a now tiled floor.

To be honest I agree that a timer makes much more sense, I was just using what was supplied by the bathroom company. I think you guys are right it definitely needs to be outside the bathroom, but because of where the bathroom is in the house there is pretty much no easy access to any other room or loft. It’s little extension on a landing between ground and 1st floor. So the timer will have to be on show on said landing.

The obvious answer is to fit another fcu with integral timer adjacent to the existing FCU ................................. and then change the kudos device for an outlet plate............

Unfortunately that’s not an option either as the FCU isn’t just outside the bathroom but in another room. This was already in place supplying the old UFH.

So we used this instead of running new cables and causing the disruption to the rest of the rooms.

Sorry guys, I don’t mean to sound dismissive. Just trying to balance up the logistics of getting it done with something the client will actually agree to. I really do appreciate all reply’s, it’s nice to be able to bounce ideas.

And the FCU is in an upstairs room, part of the stairwell will need to be chased out to run the new cable. Which was my suggestion in the first place to allow for seperate supply’s, but the client didn’t want the disruption.

There are underfloor heating controllers with dual outputs ...

Think as Murdoch suggested, this is your only option, unless the UFH has its own controller already installed?

I did a ensuite refurb', recently. Controller outside bathroom for UFH, and it had separate output specifically for a towel rad. Can't remember the make of the one I installed (also had WiFi connection), but I expect there's several products available.

The UFH controller is already installed and across the room from the towel rad so won’t be able to change this now. Although I do like the idea of the dual output controllers, will look into these for the next job.

I think I’ll have to speak to the client about running this new supply as I would have liked in the first place. Think this is a lesson learnt in sticking to my guns at the beginning of a job, preparing for any future eventuality.

IMO dual fuel towel rads are ecological nightmare. Most clients think they'll heat the bathroom on the occasional time (outside winter) when the CH is off, why would you, and they don't. Who wants warm towels, you've just been in a hot shower or bath. Friggin 150w heater, huh my PC gives off more heat.

Reply to Towel rail timer control in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net