Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

3. Forum for Trainees.

If you are a trainee and haven’t already applied to join our trainee forum then click HERE The trainee forum is a closed area of the forum where the Forum Mentors will freely share their vast experience within the industry. 

Dismiss Notice

Discuss Towel rail & timer unit amperage in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. alichambers

alichambers EF Member

Hi,

I have a NOBO electric central heating system. I have 300W towel rails in my bathroom. I didn't get a manual when I bought the flat, so have a few questions if OK:

- Do I need to service electric towel radiators? Do I need to bleed them - as I have heard they are water filled???

- If I need to replace the element, do standard elements fit?

(Pictures of my radiator are here:)
    https://sites.google.com/site/imagesforwebanc/home/DSC00651_c.JPG
    https://sites.google.com/site/imagesforwebanc/_/rsrc/1330335117197/home/DSC00652_c.JPG

- I am planning to replace the controller to the towel rails with a DIN mounted timer unit, as the signalling from the central timer has failed. The towel rail is rated at 300W.

I was thinking of using a 16 amps timer unit, but read somewhere that this may be too much, and a 10 amp is optimal. Can anyone advise here?

Thanks,
    Alex

2. malcolmsanford

malcolmsanford Electrician's Arms

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  3. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Respected Member

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    the rating of your timer is the max. it will stand, so any timer rated at or above 3A will be fine. these towel rails are usually sealed so no need to bleed/top up etc. 300w is only 1.3 amps so toy fused connection unit should be fitted with a 3A fuse.

4. telectrix

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    snap....

5. alichambers

alichambers EF Member

Thanks for your help.

The element is a "Tradeko" Type EL. 05Y.1. It is rated at 230V and IP44.

Other than the 230V, the rest doesn't mean much to me.

- To replace the element, would a standard element from say B&Q fit inside the radiator, and be OK?

- The fused spur I have between the timer unit and the radiator has a 13A fuse in it. If I have 300W radiators and a 16A timer unit, am I risking too much power to the heating elements (sorry, basic questions - I am learning)?

Should I use a 3A fuse instead of the 13A one?

Cheers :)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  6. telectrix

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    yes. you have to realise that the 16A rating is the max. current that the timer will supply. like in your consumer unit, you have a 100A main switch, but you won't be pulling 100A through it. and the 3A fuse is definitely reqiured. that is there to protect the thin flex. to your heater from overheating in case the element fails.

7. alichambers

alichambers EF Member

Thanks again. I reckon I will do a basic electrical course to learn this stuff.

To replace the element, would a standard element from say B&Q fit inside the radiator, and be OK? (it is a "Tradeko" Type EL. 05Y.1. It is rated at 230V and IP44).

8. telectrix

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    if it fitted and was the same wattage, should do, but you would have to take the rail off the wall and upend it to remove the element, otherwise the oil would leak out.