Discuss tracking power feed short to switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

diygiy

-
Reaction score
120v household line. Feed line suddenly lost power. Tenant reports no heavy usage at the time - says she just finished a shower so possible condensation/steam issue caused the short. one gfci in bathroom works fine, no load on gfci just a direct 12-3 yellow feed line into gfci no load out (appears only bathroom is on bathroom circuit breaker). Double switch box is the problem - first switch controls bathroom fan and shower light. Second switch controls vanity light. Seems main power feed from the "wall" is dead (tested with volt meter and main feed line to switch box is dead). No other outlets or switches seem to be on bathroom breaker (all other outlets & switches in apartment work)

I have a few options to get power to the switch box - but my question is how best to track the short in the line? AFAIKnow, since gfci works, energizing from the breaker side will tell me know more than i know now. Is cutting sheetrock the only sure way to track the short location? I would try looking for lower resistance but only the gfci and the double switch seem to be on the circuit. Any suggestions i appreciate - thank for taking time to read my post

120v household line. Feed line suddenly lost power. Tenant reports no heavy usage at the time - says she just finished a shower so possible condensation/steam issue caused the short. one gfci in bathroom works fine, no load on gfci just a direct 12-3 yellow feed line into gfci no load out (appears only bathroom is on bathroom circuit breaker). Double switch box is the problem - first switch controls bathroom fan and shower light. Second switch controls vanity light. Seems main power feed from the "wall" is dead (tested with volt meter and main feed line to switch box is dead). No other outlets or switches seem to be on bathroom breaker (all other outlets & switches in apartment work)

I have a few options to get power to the switch box - but my question is how best to track the short in the line? AFAIKnow, since gfci works, energizing from the breaker side will tell me know more than i know now. Is cutting sheetrock the only sure way to track the short location? I would try looking for lower resistance but only the gfci and the double switch seem to be on the circuit. Any suggestions i appreciate - thank for taking time to read my post
I think you may get more help diygiy if you ask your questions in an Americak electrical Forum, although many of the Electricians on here are qualified and experienced they may not be familiar wth the US system, anyway good luck hope you get your problem sorted.

Reply to tracking power feed short to switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock