Discuss Trade skills 4 u in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Chris Barham

Hi all,

Hipe I'm ok to post this here can anyone tell me of trade skills 4 u is the right way forward for myself to get the qualification needed to becoming an electrician.

I think they can be a bit on a HIGH Price, but it all depends on the time you can do the course. My communications with them have been pritty good, to the point they havn't sold any courses to me as they believe i dont need them really with what i have.
I do question some of their packages as they have PAT testing in the middle what seems a bit out of the blue to add to the cost.
Ie its not NEEDED to be a Electrician.

Then you have how you Learn, a FE/College can only Pump information out there and its up to you to take it in .. always read up on things before doing a course so you have a good chance of Passing.

I cant talk on how good they are, as never been with them. What courses are you planning to go for and how much of a cost.
Myself i took each course one step at a time, you have to pass each one to move on.

Ug
I think they can be a bit on a HIGH Price, but it all depends on the time you can do the course. My communications with them have been pritty good, to the point they havn't sold any courses to me as they believe i dont need them really with what i have.
I do question some of their packages as they have PAT testing in the middle what seems a bit out of the blue to add to the cost.
Ie its not NEEDED to be a Electrician.

Then you have how you Learn, a FE/College can only Pump information out there and its up to you to take it in .. always read up on things before doing a course so you have a good chance of Passing.

I cant talk on how good they are, as never been with them. What courses are you planning to go for and how much of a cost.
Myself i took each course one step at a time, you have to pass each one to move on.

im looking to go on the full course please see link Your DPD driver Gurdeep will deliver your order today 11:19-12:19. Not in? Click www.dpd.co.uk/b/6sdffLecx to leave with neighbour or change day.

Hi Chris, without knowing anything about you, age for one thing, you might need to consider using such an establishment. If at all possible, it would be best to get some form of apprenticeship. Paying for your training, with no prospect of a job at the end of it, could prove expensive or some might consider a waste of money. Going self-employed as an electrician is not easy, gaining work etc, and you're lack gaining skills from your peers. If you have an offer of employment, but your employer is asking you to fund some or all of your training, then Trade Skills for U has a fairly good reputation.

Hi Chris, without knowing anything about you, age for one thing, you might need to consider using such an establishment. If at all possible, it would be best to get some form of apprenticeship. Paying for your training, with no prospect of a job at the end of it, could prove expensive or some might consider a waste of money. Going self-employed as an electrician is not easy, gaining work etc, and you're lack gaining skills from your peers. If you have an offer of employment, but your employer is asking you to fund some or all of your training, then Trade Skills for U has a fairly good reputation.

yeah sorry I'm currently 30 years old and I have been studying for sow thing else but it has come to an end unfortunately. To many complications. I have looked at doing this before but followed up with something else. So for me I'm looking to get this qualification and in the mean time I will work for someone two to three days a week for free just so I can start building up some experience.

They are the Qualifications that a NON Working in the Industry would do.
The 2365 Level 2, 2365 level 3 and the 17th Edition. plus they, as far as i can read it, giving you the Bridge unit for 2357 (what i think you need to be WORKING with someone, with hope someone will help you out) and then its the AM2

I WILL STRESS READ UP ON EVERY THING BEFORE HAND, Testing, Wiring, Cable Calcs, Maths, Wiring Regs, and seeing people work and WHY they are doing that (too many people say put in say 6mm Cable for Shows because we always done it that way, know why you should do some thing that way and it makes it easier to know other things).

I know the costs of courses has gone up so i THINK this maybe a reasonable cost for the LOCATION and TIME. Up to you to put in the HOURS and EXTRA get as much as you can out of the course (take the toilet rolls if you have to get more out.. IM JUST EVIL that WAY) Talk to people on the course and the tutors, always good to be on EVERYONES best side.

THINK MID is right tho if you can go with someone all the better, as getting the qualifications is easy enough, finding work and having the hands on skills (you will need for the 2357 part) is dam hard. I still dont understand how these cowboy electricians get so much trade and me qualified but NEWBIE cant

Last edited by a moderator:
They are the Qualifications that a NON Working in the Industry would do.
The 2365 Level 2, 2365 level 3 and the 17th Edition. plus they, as far as i can read it, giving you the Bridge unit for 2357 (what i think you need to be WORKING with someone, with hope someone will help you out) and then its the AM2

I WILL STRESS READ UP ON EVERY THING BEFORE HAND, Testing, Wiring, Cable Calcs, Maths, Wiring Regs, and seeing people work and WHY they are doing that (too many people say put in say 6mm Cable for Shows because we always done it that way, know why you should do some thing that way and it makes it easier to know other things).

I know the costs of courses has gone up so i THINK this maybe a reasonable cost for the LOCATION and TIME. Up to you to put in the HOURS and EXTRA get as much as you can out of the course (take the toilet rolls if you have to get more out.. IM JUST EVIL that WAY) Talk to people on the course and the tutors, always good to be on EVERYONES best side.

THINK MID is right tho if you can go with someone all the better, as getting the qualifications is easy enough, finding work and having the hands on skills (you will need for the 2357 part) is dam hard. I still dont understand how these cowboy electricians get so much trade and me qualified but NEWBIE cant

I did actually speak to someone else before coming on here, And the advise I was given to by him was get the 17th edition book and ready it every time you have a spare hour as this is almost like your bible.??. So when it does come to sitting your test you will have some knowledge of the book.

yeah sorry I'm currently 30 years old and I have been studying for sow thing else but it has come to an end unfortunately. To many complications. I have looked at doing this before but followed up with something else. So for me I'm looking to get this qualification and in the mean time I will work for someone two to three days a week for free just so I can start building up some experience.
To start with then, I would get some work with that someone as a labourer or mate, on a permanent basis if poss (and get paid). See how you get on, before committing yourself to £7500 of training.

I know im Dyslexic but i wouldnt Read the WIRING REGS, its a Ref book. Dosnt really have that much of a state middle or a end.
I found talking to people and learning how to do things, far better, and using the Wiring Reg (as one of THE DAVES) asks were in the REGS is that!

One of the guys i went to college with, let me tag along with him on a New Build and talked to me about what he was doing it was a great help to see how things in the REAL WORLD than CLASSROOM is done. He did ask me what I would do and did take on a few ways I said we should do it. Even just watching and talking is great help to someone just learning.

So guess Post a Area and Maybe Times you can help an Electrician out to Watch/Move/Help out, insurance wise they might have to pay you a bit, for the books as well. But I guess if nothing bad happens you could get away with not costing much and there for more of a AID

I know im Dyslexic but i wouldnt Read the WIRING REGS, its a Ref book. Dosnt really have that much of a state middle or a end.
I found talking to people and learning how to do things, far better, and using the Wiring Reg (as one of THE DAVES) asks were in the REGS is that!

One of the guys i went to college with, let me tag along with him on a New Build and talked to me about what he was doing it was a great help to see how things in the REAL WORLD than CLASSROOM is done. He did ask me what I would do and did take on a few ways I said we should do it. Even just watching and talking is great help to someone just learning.

So guess Post a Area and Maybe Times you can help an Electrician out to Watch/Move/Help out, insurance wise they might have to pay you a bit, for the books as well. But I guess if nothing bad happens you could get away with not costing much and there for more of a AID

Thanks I appreciate your help. I will start ringing around see if I can get some work with someone.

Reply to Trade skills 4 u in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net