• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss trade unions? any good? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

piperm

Basically i've finished all my college stuff now and my funding has run out so im not longer covered by them for issues at work so i've considered joining a trade union to look after me in difficult situations. Im not sure on what union to join though,i've heard a few out there but im not sure which ones are the best, alot of my work colleges are in the new amacus one (unite??) is this one ok or are there better??

Cheers

Matt

I am not a Union person myself, but i am in the unite union, their legal helpline is brilliant. i have used them twice for non work related problems, and both problems sorted double quick following their advice. This is the only reason that i keep up my membership.

Upvote 0
fair enough mate.
Thats what they are supposed to be there for and its good they helped. The unions were however created by the Labour party to porvide funds. They are in colusion if not control of your livelyhood and its getting worse by the year. You will soon be paying for your license every two years then one year then compeled to pay for it monthly by direct debit.
The compulsory courses will become more frequent ridiculous and expensive.
The license has already created a closed shop system and in scotland at least is discriminatory.
We have lost control of our own industry to people who have alterior motives.
If we dont stop it now it will become worse and the younger guys will accept it as they havnt known anything else.
I am prepared to act as an initial contact in forming a sparkies only body to combat these policies. [email protected]

Upvote 0
Basically i've finished all my college stuff now and my funding has run out so im not longer covered by them for issues at work so i've considered joining a trade union to look after me in difficult situations. Im not sure on what union to join though,i've heard a few out there but im not sure which ones are the best, alot of my work colleges are in the new amacus one (unite??) is this one ok or are there better??

Cheers

Matt

im in unite and they are a great union,you need to be in one these days,for the cost per month its a great service,or you could call 5 post jack:confused:

Upvote 0
As an NHS employee (As well as a sparks) I am a member of unison, I have never known such a load of usless, inefectual so and sos, my money is wasted each month as they agree to every management or political whim or method of screwing the staff and bending performance figures.

My wife however is a member of unite, when her relatively small company decided to treat her badly and unfairly with regard to maternity pay and conditions, they were FANTASTIC! a little man came and visited her several times, the legal team got involved, the suport was very surprising, it will of cost them more than she will ever pay in subs!

I guess its swings and roundabouts!

Upvote 0
glad to hear your wife was glad to be part of unite,with whats coming under the tories all unions will fight for their members,no matter what union your in you will be better off being in it than not.

Upvote 0
The unions these days are politicians, a waste of space mixed up in their own power struggle, all hell bent on being labour luvvies. ~Jobs for the boys, all using your fees to pay their stupid wages and pensions. As a "former leftie" I would not **** on our union if it was on fire

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
you are already insured through your employer/business. They are also supporting the JIB in License and course policies when they should be fighting them.
As I say; It is going to get rapidly more expensive to retain a JIB license and the only way to stop it is for most of us to ditch them at the same time.

Upvote 0
With what has happend over the last week electricians will be a minority in what started out as their own union, a docker has been elected leader of the union, then again only 16% of the members actually bothered to vote.

Upvote 0
you already are a minority mate; You might not be aware that only 15% of electricians are members anyway.
Which makes it even worse. The more you look into this the worse it all is for us. I am not saying we dont need a license. I am saying that we should go back to the policy where you were given it for life at the end of your apprenticeship (and didnt have to repurchase it every three years with compulsory and stupid courses designed to raise funds for unions and unoficial bodies who set themselves up without consultation). And it should be nationaly and independantly (from government or union) recognised by our own trade ie "ourselves"

Upvote 0
The unions were however created by the Labour party to porvide funds.
[email protected]

Wrong john jack,
The unions were around long before the Labour party.
It was in fact the unions that created the labour party in order to gain a voice in parliament.
I would of thought it right that if you form a political party then you should fund it, which is basically whats happening.

Upvote 0
ok, got it the wrong way round it seems.
Im not hiding the fact I am anti union and anti beaurocracy and anti politicians for lots of reasons. But mainly because they are taking it upon themselves to invent methods policies and rules to make money out of the working population and it is getting worse by the year.
They are all in each others pockets and linning each others pockets with our money.
It had to all be stopped in NZ as it was ruining the country. It will have to be stopped here eventualy but I would rather not wait till I am retired.

Upvote 0
Just look at the demise of the electrical industry, wages, working conditions, job perks,etc..

Ask your voice of representation with whom you pay your dues, where were they when all this was happening?

Trade unions? any good?

I don't think so!

Upvote 0
the union unite have put forward that there will be no pay rise in january and that we loose saturday pm as double time save your money thats all they want is direct debits of people

thats quite a sweaping statement,ask yourself where would be without unions,dont know what your company has agreed or how there doing,were still waiting for ours,tho weve done ok in the past,but if everyone gives up then theres less power to us,then when we are weak thats when the employers will shaft us big time..

Upvote 0
unions are a good thing. the people elected to run them, on a wave of apathy, are sometimes good, sometimes bad. it's the same as anything in life if you want a union to represent you, participate, if you want it to represent others, sit back and let others decide

Upvote 0

Reply to trade unions? any good? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back