Discuss Tradepoint discount via NICEIC in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
I have seen on the NICEIC website that if you are signed up on either the DI or AC schemes then you can get a tradepoint card for discount from B&Q. Admittedly some of the stuff is a bit shoddy. Some of the other stuff less so.
My question though is does anybody have the trade point card via NICEIC and is the discount better than the bog standard trade point card anybody can get?
The NICEIC suggest they have negotiated a better discount so am wondering if its all its cracked up to be?
The info from the niceic is in the other services bit when you login...

TradePoint card – exclusive discounted prices on trade essentials

We have partnered with TradePoint and agreed negotiated pricing for all NICEIC members on thousands of key products from the TradePoint catalogue, against the standard trade price.

TradePoint supply products needed day in day out for building and maintenance, with trusted brands at competitive prices all under one roof.

• 12,000 products at low trade prices
  • Additional discount on B&Q shop floor items
  • 4000+ items picked from behind the TradePoint counter
  • Trusted trade brands
  • Bulk delivery to site
  • Buy in store, online & by phone
  • 60 days payment card
For more cards or any questions contact the team on:
Tel: 0131 458 6256
Email: [email protected]

I have seen on the NICEIC website that if you are signed up on either the DI or AC schemes then you can get a tradepoint card for discount from B&Q. Admittedly some of the stuff is a bit shoddy. Some of the other stuff less so.
My question though is does anybody have the trade point card via NICEIC and is the discount better than the bog standard trade point card anybody can get?
The NICEIC suggest they have negotiated a better discount so am wondering if its all its cracked up to be?
The info from the niceic is in the other services bit when you login...

TradePoint card – exclusive discounted prices on trade essentials

We have partnered with TradePoint and agreed negotiated pricing for all NICEIC members on thousands of key products from the TradePoint catalogue, against the standard trade price.

TradePoint supply products needed day in day out for building and maintenance, with trusted brands at competitive prices all under one roof.

• 12,000 products at low trade prices
  • Additional discount on B&Q shop floor items
  • 4000+ items picked from behind the TradePoint counter
  • Trusted trade brands
  • Bulk delivery to site
  • Buy in store, online & by phone
  • 60 days payment card
For more cards or any questions contact the team on:
Tel: 0131 458 6256
Email: [email protected]
Just go to the shed, and apply who needs NICEIC not me

Another example of sheds undercutting genuine electrical wholesalers, IMO. Money making to$$ers, as far as I'm concerned.
A friend wanted some Masterseal outdoor sockets, so I gave him the price to me......20% cheaper to him at B and Q.......they get them cheaper for buying in bigger bulk.....what is happening to the trade?...and whose side are nici on, these days?

Based on my own experience of Tradepoint... they can keep their discount. The customer service I've received has been appalling. I certainly wouldn't buy any electrical stuff from them unless they were the only place that had it (unlikely) or it was a special request from a customer, I'd much rather give my business to my local wholesalers (especially the one that handed me a crate a Stella when I popped in to pick up a new screwdriver :) ).

Another example of sheds undercutting genuine electrical wholesalers, IMO. Money making to$$ers, as far as I'm concerned.
A friend wanted some Masterseal outdoor sockets, so I gave him the price to me......20% cheaper to him at B and Q.......they get them cheaper for buying in bigger bulk.....what is happening to the trade?...and whose side are nici on, these days?
Only one side, Mate their own,

Based on my own experience of Tradepoint... they can keep their discount. The customer service I've received has been appalling. I certainly wouldn't buy any electrical stuff from them unless they were the only place that had it (unlikely) or it was a special request from a customer, I'd much rather give my business to my local wholesalers (especially the one that handed me a crate a Stella when I popped in to pick up a new screwdriver :) ).

That's more like it.

Round here there seems to be a strange phenomenon of wholesalers receiving presents from their customers. What for I'm not entirely sure. I think it should be the other way round personally! Especially if you've spent 10's of thousands with them since last Christmas

I think with a lot of these things and much like cashback sites, somebody is making money for getting you to shop there, i wouldn't be at all surprised if the niceic get a nice bit of money as commission for every person they get signed up and shopping there.

NAPIT had a similar scheme with tradepoint a couple of years ago. But the savings were pointless imo. Coupled with the fact that going anywhere near a tradepoint counter is likely to be a hideous time consuming one, I would say don't bother! In their earlier days I visited them, but the awful stock control, waiting around for 30 minutes and often nil discounts made me see sense. How kingfisher can get Screwfix sort of reasonably well ran but bq so badly ran says to me they see bq as a DIY shop.

AVOID PLAGUE, like the....!

It is a bit ironic when you think about @NDG Elecs . As its a bit like that with Travis Perkins who own wickes and toolstation. It seems left and hand right hand dont know what the other is doing. surely any business should see what works well and what doesnt. But its as if the different stores are on different planets.

How true! I have both the tradepoint and OAP cards...never really use them as SF has better prices on (almost) everything and some stuff you see in bq is clearly rebadged stuff shipped in from SF but with a price hike. However, I recently got a Stanley toolbag for ÂŁ9 in bq, less my wednesday discount, but not available in SF. Strangely, I also bought a bigger Stanley one a month ago which was ÂŁ19.99 in SF (discounted from ÂŁ29.99) which is currently ÂŁ30 in bq...seems a mess to me. I do some plumbing stuff from time to time, and it's the same story. bq so expensive for basic connectors etc but yesterday I got an emergency pipe repair clamp from bq for ÂŁ10 (choice of 15mm or 22mm) but at sf it was 15mm only, and ÂŁ15...which I think is about 50% dearer, (maths at this time on a friday..not my best thing!)
BTW, these pipe clamps are a real lifesaver in an emergency if you have a burst this winter
Kibosh Emergency Pipe Repair - Fix leaking or burst pipes in seconds - http://kiboshpiperepair.com/
add a couple of them, and some push-fit stop ends to your kit, so if you are faced with a screw or nail through a pipe (maybe a plumber, eh?) you can fix the water leak before you set out on drying out the electrics.

It's another way of getting the professional trade,it is one thing that I have disagreed with the NICEIC doing of late going down the selling of tools test equipment promoting products eats away of impartialness.On the subject of MK Marstershield, switched double sockets asked for price(inc vat) from Edmundson's ÂŁ70 Denmans ÂŁ55looked in Toolstation ÂŁ39 I think these days you have to shop around (yes I know wholesalers deliver f.o.c.)

It is a bit ironic when you think about @NDG Elecs . As its a bit like that with Travis Perkins who own wickes and toolstation. It seems left and hand right hand dont know what the other is doing. surely any business should see what works well and what doesnt. But its as if the different stores are on different planets.

I agree, ironic...
but I probably won't be phoning Alanis Morissette...
she just wouldn't understand

I've got a trade-point card. They simply ask you to prove you're in the trade. I simply showed my qualifications and gave them a website-address & email for my business (sole-trader, self employed) which checked out ok.

To be honest, the staff are very keen to meet their targets for trade-point sign-ups and they'll do whatever they can to help you, so don't be afraid to chat with them and ask questions (they want it as much as you).

I didn't realise TP was same owner as Wickes. That's definitely another example, and Gavin is spot on there.

Our local bq used to be ok when it was one of their massive stores. I say ok only because it stocked absolutely everything, which could be occasionally handy. But that store has been chopped in half and is now as bad as homebase. @I2C I have been collared a couple of times dressed in my work gear but using the normal checkouts by staff asking why don't I sign up for the tradepoint. They generally look bemused when I show them I am! I tell them that there is virtually no point in me using the tradepoint counter as prices are often the same (or sometimes actually more expensive!), and the time it takes to get served is often ridiculous.

Reply to Tradepoint discount via NICEIC in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock