Discuss Tradesmen Problems! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

TobyAllen

Is it just me or is every day another battle with other trades?

This morning, I woke up extra early for a commercial job that required some lighting rigged up for the plumbers (who required it before 7am), only to be told when I arrived on site that they had delayed their work for another week. Everything I had scheduled for today I pushed forward a day, leaving me with nothing to do today?

Please tell me I'm not the only one with this sort of thing happening day in day out!
Has anybody got any nice solutions/ways of dealing with the communication between site managers/customers/other trades?

Any help is much appreciated!

Toby

This morning, I woke up extra early for a commercial job that required some lighting rigged up for the plumbers (who required it before 7am), only to be told when I arrived on site that they had delayed their work for another week. Everything I had scheduled for today I pushed forward a day, leaving me with nothing to do today?

Please tell me I'm not the only one with this sort of thing happening day in day out!
Has anybody got any nice solutions/ways of dealing with the communication between site managers/customers/other trades?

Toby

Please don't post multiple threads on the same topic.

Aim ya foreheed at the gadgies nose marra n then mek em connect. It's the Geordie way n eel niva mess ye aboot agin

Toby
issues with ould wetpants again

I don't do rewires and kitchens or infact any job that depends on another trade but I realise a lot of people do and it has always amazed be the way sparks get treated from other trades ie "Right we are starting a kitchen on Monday and you better be there" Monday comes and they don't turn up so when you phone they think it is funny that they changed it but forgot ! to tell you.

Basically it all down to jealousy years ago the building trade was on bonus but the sparks had at the time a good hourly rate a holiday stamp bought from the SJIB every week and they did not get it plus it was great teasing the apprentice spark saying well son you better pass or you are out of a job should have been a joiner . Nothing has changed except sparks are getting it harder because or trade has become saturated.

Maybe we should feed the chancers and Electrical Trainee's duff information to thin out the weakest of the herd. :D "Always remember to lick your neon screwdriver before testing.*"

* Disclaimer: do not lick a neon screwdriver or any other tool, in fact do not use a neon screwdriver at all, except as an aggressive nose-picker, or to open a tin of paint, then throw it away, unless you like licking paint. But then I've already told you to stop licking stuff. What is it with you and licking things? I really don't get it. You should see a psychologist and get this sorted.

Make the plasterer your friend
The plumber your mate
The carpenter your ally and you have installation heaven
The painter can be forgotten,he was never our problem by the time he takes over

Maybe we should feed the chancers and Electrical Trainee's duff information to thin out the weakest of the herd. :D "Always remember to lick your neon screwdriver before testing.*"

* Disclaimer: do not lick a neon screwdriver or any other tool, in fact do not use a neon screwdriver at all, except as an aggressive nose-picker, or to open a tin of paint, then throw it away, unless you like licking paint. But then I've already told you to stop licking stuff. What is it with you and licking things? I really don't get it. You should see a psychologist and get this sorted.

I used to get overtime because I was the only apprentice who had a Martindale voltage tester the sparks had a bit of flex and a lamp plus the sparks could not understand how I could bell out cables with it as well (trade test for some who dont know)

Aye they were they day will have to go my eyes are welling up

I don't do rewires and kitchens or infact any job that depends on another trade but I realise a lot of people do and it has always amazed be the way sparks get treated from other trades ie "Right we are starting a kitchen on Monday and you better be there" Monday comes and they don't turn up so when you phone they think it is funny that they changed it but forgot ! to tell you.

Basically it all down to jealousy years ago the building trade was on bonus but the sparks had at the time a good hourly rate a holiday stamp bought from the SJIB every week and they did not get it plus it was great teasing the apprentice spark saying well son you better pass or you are out of a job should have been a joiner . Nothing has changed except sparks are getting it harder because or trade has become saturated.

I think you are over-thinking this one mate. It's simply that because we are the only trade who show any manners, they just walk all over us (or try to). Just a basic peeing competition to see who loses.
I am also someone who doesn't suffer fools and so I try to avoid any jobs involving other trades. Whenever someone else turns up on site, it always ends up with them trying to tell me that "that's not the way their electrician does it", usually in front of the customer. Makes me so angry!

Last edited:
I think you are over-thinking this one mate. It's simply that because we are the only trade who show any manners, they just walk all over us (or try to). Just a basic peeing competition to see who loses.
I am also someone who doesn't suffer fools and so I try to avoid any jobs involving other trades. Whenever someone else turns up on site, it always ends up with them trying to tell me that "that's not the way their electrician does it", usually in front of the customer. Makes me so angry!

Know exactly what you mean , all other trades are roughnecks , we go in and and are treated like their assistants and fit in with their schedule, AVOID WORKING FOR BUILDERS if you can , they are the worst.

Reply to Tradesmen Problems! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net