Discuss Train 4 trade skills feedback in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wanabe sparky

I am looking for feedback on train4tradeskills,i am really worried i have been ripped off,i was recently made redundant after 15 years in retail management and decided to follow my dream of becoming an electrician,i am extremely hard working but worry that its just not possible to learn this material at home from a book,any advice help would be greatly appreciated on how i can progresss in the industry,this course has cost me 6k that i cant afford to loose!

in general reviews are quite mixed. people often post on here that while the practicle side can be quite good getting a response from the admin side can be a mare. if you are not commited yet i would strongly recommend going to your local college and doing it that way instead as its given far greater respect in the industry ie those that do the employing. possibly work as an electricians labourer or mate for now or whatever else to earn a living.
welcome to the forum though and best of luck

in general reviews are quite mixed. people often post on here that while the practicle side can be quite good getting a response from the admin side can be a mare. if you are not commited yet i would strongly recommend going to your local college and doing it that way instead as its given far greater respect in the industry ie those that do the employing. possibly work as an electricians labourer or mate for now or whatever else to earn a living.
welcome to the forum though and best of luck
thanks for the advice:D

Hi, i started the course back in september, so havn't yet got to the Practical training, but i am finding the course literature very good and easy to follow, as you progress you get more info, you have back up from the tutors, and there is always the internet if you dont understand anything. I too am moving out of retail for this, but its working fine both working and training, having said that you do need to have support from home, and be willing to give up some TV. Go for it its a lot of money to waste if you don't. Good luck

I to looked into these courses as a fast track way into electrical work but I found the advisor far to pushy into trying to get me sign up. So I have gone along the college route may take longer but I find it easier someone explaining it in a classroom and it is cheaper.

ive also just signed up for this course. always been in the building trade, now 26 and realised i needed a proper trade.
doing the full scope course for 2 years. been doing t a month, only thing i wish i would have researched was getting an apprentership first. didnt know i needed 2 years hands on experience, my fault for nor not doing my research i suppose. sent 20 letters out to local sparkys no joy tho, a few said theyd keep my details on record so fingers crossed. wasnt expecting anything from those letters with the way things are in general at the moment with the ressesion.
Anyone else doing this course? be great to get your fedback.
Luke

Hi there, I started Train4TradeSkills in November, it's great being able to do things at your own pace and not being told stupid formulae to use to calc things. That was when I tried the BS7671 Elctrotecnical course at college, 2 days a week for 2 years, really intense, a load of people dropped out because it was too technical. Any way like I said T4TS is much better, more practical and enjoyable, but I guess I'm one the lucky one's because I have the backing of parents to 'foot' the £110 per month bill...... so I cannot..... must not FAIL!
I just finished TMA05 by the way... and am doing well. I don't know about anyone else who've done courses like this, but I can't help looking at other peoples' property (including my own), and want to have a 'tinker around'. :)

Nick S.

my brother signed up for these shysters.
he s signing on, aint worked for a year or two, aint got a pot to **** in.
they signed him up for a loan(about 3 grand if i remember right) that he has no chance of repaying, just so the salesman could pocket his hundred quid. i dont have a clue how he could qualify for this amount of credit, my brother aint too bright by the way but the salesman fed him some old yarn about the social paying for the lot. i really wish i could use more swear words about them. but anyway if you can afford to pay them then its up to you but dont get mugged off. i hope theres plenty of people who have done their courses and are graftin now, good luck to you. oh and it's mostly an online course and he aint got a computer!!!

Last edited:
I haven't got a computer but I go to M&D's for the weekend to do my TMA's, and ~I also use the library----- which is free for internet use-- ?**&!"*&?.

The 3 grand you're talking about is 4 grand, paid monthly -- no interest accrued.

I'm telling you guy's it's gonna be worth it!

Oh and just in case you didn't know I'm Bipolar, with additional anxiety and depression diorders. So this suits me. I don't have to be around other people which is a nightmare for me. I am on medication which keeps me stable, and my goal is to get off these... and be my own boss. I think that satisfaction in this field/job will accomplish this.

Anyway, enough blabberring.

signing off

Nick:)

I'm doing the Electricians course with T4TS and am currently on module 13. I've got pretty good marks so far and am really enjoying the course but there's a few things I'd like to say

1. When I reached module 9 or 10 I was able to book my 1st and 2nd practical weeks and was well happy. It was around October, 2 months after starting my course but only 1 month's payment had been taken. Thing is (and what they didn't tell me at the start) you need to prove to T4TS that you've paid for 3 months before you can arrange practical training!!! - I argued with them but they refused to budge because once you've commited to Barclays Finance, they have no communication with T4TS so you have to prove to T4TS you've been paying. So I had to wait till November came round, ask for statements from Barclays and then fax them over. Eventually they agreed I had paid for the course (how trash is it that I had to prove to them that I'd been paying for the course???!) but then the next surprise.....
  2. Don't expect to get into the courses any time soon!! I waited from November till January 18th for my first practical week and they can't fit my second week in till March 1st!! They are supposed to be consecutive weeks aren't they? I still sit here now without any information, no post, no address of the training centre, no nothing about the place or training and I go there next week..... Fingers crossed eh? And what about the accomodation? bit late now don't you think? Why couldn't they confirm everything earlier?
I'd just like to know how intense these practical weeks are? has anyone actually been on one yet? I'm a bit worried I may of forgot what I learnt back in August from these books and I'm gonna look a prize plank

Can you help?

OK,
I started with these a few months ago, as although trained as a sparks about 30 years ago, I found I needed to re-certify / qualify. I have had no problems with these guys at all. The practical weeks are fine, first week was really easy, just getting you used to the system, run lighting circuits and ring mains etc, basic. they also start the preparation for your second week, which is more intense but still nothing to worry about, if you have read your course material and done your assignments properly then you will have no problems at all. It is however worth reading your course notes / material again before you go to the training centre, revision is not hard and will refresh your mind before you go in.
Where are you? if you go to this site Apprenticeships & Adult Courses in Gas, Plumbing and Electrics you will be able to see which centre is nearest to you and so can contact them if you have any problems, they will also have details of accommodation you can use if you are stuck.

Hope this helps, I think you get what you want from thee guys, nobody is going to give you a free ride in this world, 'if you don't take the time to ask you will never get to know'

Cheers
Carl :)

Hi there, I started Train4TradeSkills in November, it's great being able to do things at your own pace and not being told stupid formulae to use to calc things. That was when I tried the BS7671 Elctrotecnical course at college, 2 days a week for 2 years, really intense, a load of people dropped out because it was too technical. Any way like I said T4TS is much better, more practical and enjoyable, but I guess I'm one the lucky one's because I have the backing of parents to 'foot' the £110 per month bill...... so I cannot..... must not FAIL!
I just finished TMA05 by the way... and am doing well. I don't know about anyone else who've done courses like this, but I can't help looking at other peoples' property (including my own), and want to have a 'tinker around'. :)

Nick S.

check out what brs73 quoted,dont know why u gave up the college though,tutors want to help,i was crap at science/maths but passed it all 2391 etc when sparks doing it 4 30 years said i had no chance proved them wrong,if you want it bad enough you will get it,what they are charging is extortionate.

Thanks Carl, you've settled the old nerves a bit there and yeah your right - you don't get 'oat for Nowt!!
I know I'll be the rookie in the practical weeks cause I've got no experience but I'm determined so sod it!
Cheers Carl
Steve

I really didn't like this lot, not sure what it was, wasn't too sure about the other 2 big trainers either, ended up with a company based in Sussex with a training centre near Southampton. A mate went there and raved about them, proof of the pud and all that is that he's got loads of work on some 18 months later.

Thanks Carl, you've settled the old nerves a bit there and yeah your right - you don't get 'oat for Nowt!!
I know I'll be the rookie in the practical weeks cause I've got no experience but I'm determined so sod it!
Cheers Carl
Steve

90% of the guys on the first week had no experience at all, most never even handled cable before and even a couple who swore they had never used hand tools! the instructors are there to help and they do help. remember the old addage 'IF IN DOUBT ASK' same goes for this forum in general, there are loads of fells on here who will help you out.
Just go and enjoy it, and if it's the Featherstone centre, you certainly will. The butty wagon is great.

Carl

PS you should have negotiated the price with the guy who came to interview you, they are like any other business, always able to offer a discount if you sign now etc.

C :D

Wow... what a mixed bag of replies here!!!
I know some people might not have a computer, but surely you must be able to get access somewhere? like the library?

I'm really loving this course, although I must say that the course notes are getting a bit hazy in their wording, but you just have to see throgh that anyway.

I've now completed TMA 07, any questions raised to T4TS tutor gets a response quickly every time, or I can phone if I need more detail, like for instance, the scenary CD. There was a discrepency in calculating R2+R2 ..... they knew of this problem, but I think that it's a test also, just to make sure you're on the ball.

Anyhow like I said, I am really loving this, and I'm not panicky or anxious.... which is a very good thing!

NickS:)

Ps. excuse the delay's in posting.

Reply to Train 4 trade skills feedback in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net