Discuss Trainee electrician at 28 in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mr-modster

Hi guys i have just started training to become an electrician on the weekends level 2 city & guilds my current occupation is landscaping. Anyways i know this is not going to be some kind of quick 2 year training and ill be qualified. If it takes 4 or 5 years thats fine with me. I enjoy learning this subject and trade. The thing that does put slight doubt in my mind is completing my level 3 nvq as getting took on as a mate at my age may be hard? Does anyone have experience training later in life any information much appreciated

Iv just started a course and I'm 33! I can't do anything other than get my head into it and gain as much knowledge and qualifications as I can. I then plan to do the am2 and any other qualifications that gain me some advantage.

ill also be looking to work for free for a few hours a week once Iv done my part p to gain experience in the workplace. Iv got a lot of catching up to do but I'm determined! Haha

I was an adult trainee, done the full course whilst working for an electrical firm, the oldest in my class was in his 50's.......best bet is to get in with an agency as a mate, just blag it and say you have some experience as a mate and take it from there! Good luck!

Iv just started a course and I'm 33! I can't do anything other than get my head into it and gain as much knowledge and qualifications as I can. I then plan to do the am2 and any other qualifications that gain me some advantage.

ill also be looking to work for free for a few hours a week once Iv done my part p to gain experience in the workplace. Iv got a lot of catching up to do but I'm determined! Haha

Don't waste your money on this course, complete waste of time and the course providers that sell it need to actually understand what part-p is then realise what a laughing stock the course is.

It's not just part p. Part p is just 1 part of it.

its an nvq level 3 which as I understand is national qualification for electrician?

NVQ Level 3 is part of what is needed to be graded as an approved electrician by the JIB. The others are 17th edition, 2394 and 2395.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'part-p is part of the NVQ3' - the NVQ3 is a work based project to demonstrate your ability to work, alongside your knowledge and understanding of the trade.

Part-P is part p of the building regulations.

So as for part-p being one part of the NVQ i don't understand, whoever your course provider is, is getting their terminology crossed.

Last edited:
I was an adult trainee, done the full course whilst working for an electrical firm, the oldest in my class was in his 50's.......best bet is to get in with an agency as a mate, just blag it and say you have some experience as a mate and take it from there! Good luck!

As an adult trainee, you will have to blag things a bit, and if you're good enough, you'll succeed. I've gone through it all and thankfully managed to look more like a bit of a **** sparks (rather than someone with limited practical knowledge) for a year or so, I was thrown in at the deep end and I kept afloat and swam. I've only been on my own (was working with others beforehand) for 3 years and still have a huge amount to learn, but it can be done boys, you just have to work hard.

I think it's me that's getting my terminology wrong.

The course is a city and guilds NVQ level 3. It's predominately home study course with 4 weeks a year practical study at Wolverhampton college.

On average the course takes 2-3 years.
There is 4 main sections of the NVQ

* C&G 2392 fundamental inspection, testing and verification

* C&G 2382 17th edition
* C&G 2394 verification and certificate of electrical installations
* C&G 2365 level 2 and 3 diplomas in electrical installation

At the end of the course I will take the AM2 achievement measurement test.

I believe I will cover part p aswell

Reply to Trainee electrician at 28 in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net