Discuss [Trainee] Needs help from someone experienced. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Adam_92

-
Trainee
Reaction score
I have a question on an assignment that I could do with some help

Desribe, for each of the following symptoms, the most likely electrical fault.

A) A fault has occurred on a lighting circuit when the lights are operated the RCBO protecting the circuit operates.

B) The outside lights when the protective device is turned off.

My answers for both are.

A) A line to earth fault on the switch live which is causing the rcbo to trip when the switch is operated

B)The switch line and common have been mixed up which is a polarity fault.

Thanks for any help in advance :)

I'm struggling with B as well, but if it is as it sounds then the likely cause is a faulty protective device, as the 'switch line and common' are on the load side of the device they should both be dead when the device is off. And mixing up the 'switch line and common' is not a polarity fault, they are same polarity.

How will a N-E fault light up outside with the protective device off? I must be missing something in question B!

Edit re-reading this I assume B is a poorly worded way of saying with the mcb off the RCD trips, hence the N-E suggestion....but only an RCBO is mentioned.:confused:

I have a question on an assignment that I could do with some help

Desribe, for each of the following symptoms, the most likely electrical fault.

A) A fault has occurred on a lighting circuit when the lights are operated the RCBO protecting the circuit operates.

B) The outside lights when the protective device is turned off.

My answers for both are.

A) A line to earth fault on the switch live which is causing the rcbo to trip when the switch is operated

B)The switch line and common have been mixed up which is a polarity fault.

Thanks for any help in advance :)
A L/E Fault
B outside light on another circuit

My apologise reading this back it doesn't make sense! Was a late night last night.

A) A fault has occurred on a lighting circuit when the lights are turned on the RCBO protecting the circuit trips

B) The outside lights only turn off when the protective device is turned off.

for B then. the switch is knackered, stuck in closed position, or customer's brats have superglued it.

My apologise reading this back it doesn't make sense! Was a late night last night.

A) A fault has occurred on a lighting circuit when the lights are turned on the RCBO protecting the circuit trips

B) The outside lights only turn off when the protective device is turned off.
A: an earth fault on the switched part of the lighting circuit
B: a non operational or missing functional switch

This is the problem when people who create these questions (not the OP, the training provider) don't put enough effort into them to ensure there is enough clear information to work with. Seen quite a few lately where it is one very short sentence with very little info and is nearly impossible to get a 'proper' correct answer.

Reply to [Trainee] Needs help from someone experienced. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net