Discuss Trainee Section - Low Traffic... Why? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

SparkyChick

Staff member
Mod
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Hi all,

This message is from the staff and we'd like to hear your thoughts/comments.

As you probably know, we have an area of the forums set aside for members who are on electrical training courses. This is 'staffed' if you will by members with the 'Forum Mentor' badge and staff.

The idea is that trainee's can ask questions in there in relative safety, free from the fear their competence will be called into question by those who may have forgotten how clueless they were when they first started their journey.

However, we've noticed that there isn't a lot of traffic in that area. A good example would be a competition recently run by @essex which attracted hardly any entries.

Our question is... why might this be?

We want to increase traffic and usage of the trainee section. I have a competition idea ready to go, but I'd like to think that it will get more than a couple of entries.

So... if you've got a suggestion on why traffic in the trainee section may be low, why people may be reluctant to have a go at competitions designed to help them, why might people be reluctant to ask questions or you've got a suggestion on how we might improve things, please post here.

If you'd rather not post your comments and views in public, then don't keep quiet, start a conversation with me and let me know what you think.

Thanks

SC

Perhaps people just miss the post? I know I mostly check the homepage for new threads on the stream and some times if it's been a few days you miss a few threads.

When these trainee posts go up does everyone registered as a trainee get a private message and email? This could help grab people's attention if not.

Another suggestion could be if the forum has a pop up box window feature, a message could be displaed to members registered as trainee saying there is new context directly related to their learning and they have to click OK to continue or click the link in the box.

Just to echo sparkychick , it is really confusing at times as to what has changed in there.
I don't mean to sound like a broken record but me and paul m used to dedicate a lot of our time in there ( a couple of years ago now ) and the place was always busy, loads of threads and questions, competitions.
So what As changed is it that the trainees back then where more interested in getting advice from the mentors, are the new trainees just a different breed now as in do they not want to spend their spare time doing what could be considered even more study.
We just want to understand what you are all thinking.
Essex was a good example, the guy got stuck into trying to boost the place about a month ago now while he did get some interaction, it was nothing like what I experienced a couple of years ago.
It must be a bit disheartening for mentors like Essex when they don't get the interaction they deserve.
I have checked the stats in that place and it showed that all the trainees we currently have do log in every month so that's not the problem.
Does anyone have any suggestions how we can get more trainees to sign up for it.
Finally I will leave you all with this thought, how would you feel if one day it was gone, would it bother you or not.

Perhaps people just miss the post? I know I mostly check the homepage for new threads on the stream and some times if it's been a few days you miss a few threads.

When these trainee posts go up does everyone registered as a trainee get a private message and email? This could help grab people's attention if not.

Another suggestion could be if the forum has a pop up box window feature, a message could be displaed to members registered as trainee saying there is new context directly related to their learning and they have to click OK to continue or click the link in the box.

There is a link to the trainee forum on the main page so that shouldn't be an issue, it should grab your attention as soon as you log in.

Also without sounding too harsh if trainees need to be prompted constantly that isn't good, by that I mean there is a completely free section of the forum dedicated to them where they can get some of the best information available for free, I would hope that when a trainee logs on to the forum then the first place they should be heading is that free resource.
I'm hoping the trainees can prove me wrong but I personally think that it's a simple case of the new trainees have different needs to the old trainees we had.

I agree new trainees will tend to ask more questions but existing trainees will tend to ask more complex questions. They also tend to research the answer for themselves more

@Loki
Thanks for your replies, so what is it you would like to see in there, how about a sticky on information you can read in there.
In fact isn't there something like that already, I'm off to have a look.
If it turns out there is, does it maybe just need updating and keeping current.

@Loki
Thanks for your replies, so what is it you would like to see in there, how about a sticky on information you can read in there.
In fact isn't there something like that already, I'm off to have a look.
If it turns out there is, does it maybe just need updating and keeping current.

Maybe some sticky posts explaining different subjects like ie: earth loop impeedance, 3phase, testing, fault finding etc. this way trainees can the look at these stickys depending on what subject their studying.

Loki, look above at my posts before this one

Perhaps the Trainees generally post on the main forums because they all also want input from the various intellectual and knowledgeable giants who are just regular members that have no access to the TF? :)

More opinions, if they're not totally crazy, have to be a good thing.

Must admit that when I come on to the site I look at ‘new posts’ first. I have placed a few items on the trainee section but when I generally have a question I’m quite happy to advertise my ‘incompetence’ on the main forum as the stupid questions are always the best. :D

I've seen a lot of posts on the main forum for questions being asked by non signed up trainees - with the advice to apply for access to the trainee section. Perhaps on the registration part of the forum there could be a question for this that is immediately sent for approval for them?

Also could change the forum order so the trainee forum is at the top, so it's the first thing they see when on the forum?

I will still be posting in there so don’t worry.

However if it is just an Essex Echo-chamber then that is not fun for anyone.

So ‘Forum Mentors’ need to earn their badge if you ask me. There were a few that popped into my thread to offer guidance but compared to how many mentors there are on here that is rubbish.

The mentor badge should be a privilege and if members just want it for jewellery then it should be taken away.

Also a ‘Trainee’ badge in the ‘New Posts’ list would help. There is one for ‘domestic’ and ‘commercial’ and it draws the eyes but nothing for trainee questions.

I appreciate you have the mentor badge to help trainees but could you not open the trainee section up to arms members aswell? With the rules being any unhelpful replies or mocking the trainees abilities etc then you are warned, and blocked from that section.
It would likely generate more traffic on that section.

I wonder if the mentors (and others) might post stuff which is 'bite-sized' learning perhaps wrapped in a narrative from real-life. As an example - someone posted recently about how many issues could be seen in a picture of a meter cupboard. Another was about new electric ovens tripping the RCD and how to rectify the problem. The indicator of success and usefulness would be the trainee view count.

If one could plot trainee view count against time (say days) it would be easy to see when trainees are engaged in a post - the plot goes upwards - and when it has run its course the plot levels off to a maximum. It can then be removed.

There could then be a running total view count kept for each mentor - and points mean fame and prizes.

Reply to Trainee Section - Low Traffic... Why? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock