Discuss Trainees, Electrical Trainee's in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

thomas-1981

Just interested in what are the requirements for working on electrical installations. I was under the impression only electricians could carry out works. But on reading posts on this forum it seems anyone with a weeks testing certificate can do work. I'm based in Glasgow, Scotland so whats the differences through the country on who can carry out works.

In England you don't NEED any quals to do electrical work. But you need to be competent. For notifiable domestic work, most people go through the competent person scheme route, and in order to join one of those, you need to be assessed as competent. That's why there's a prolific multiplication in the number of 'Domestic Installers' out there who wouldn't have a clue when it came to industrial work, 3-phase etc.

That's why there's a prolific multiplication in the number of 'Domestic Installers' out there who wouldn't have a clue when it came to industrial work, 3-phase etc.

To be honest I don't see that as a problem. What is a problem IMHO is the lack of experience with different types of installation, fault finding, testing, the reasonaing behind installation methods, alternative methods of protection etc etc etc.

To be honest I don't see that as a problem. What is a problem IMHO is the lack of experience with different types of installation, fault finding, testing, the reasonaing behind installation methods, alternative methods of protection etc etc etc.

Very true.

So how much training do these guys have to do before they can go working on their own?
Do they have to 'shadow' an electrician for a duration after training?
Just so you are aware I'm not getting at these guys just curious.

So how much training do these guys have to do before they can go working on their own?
Do they have to 'shadow' an electrician for a duration after training?
Just so you are aware I'm not getting at these guys just curious.
As far as who can do what, the legal test is competence. One way of proving competence is by quals. In the opinion of most guys on here the short course route is a road to disaster and to a point I'm in that camp. There are people out there working on their own who have as little as the 17th edition qualification which means they can find things in the regs book, it doesn't prepare them for fault finding and/or anything to do with installing. They are the ones you will see on here who ask ridiculously basic question generally. So as you see, there is no requirement for anyone to shadow an electrician before/during or after any training but it's strongly advised that if you want a career in the electrical trade you will do exactly that.

There are people out there working on their own who have as little as the 17th edition qualification which means they can find things in the regs book,.

Here Here, well said Trev, I tried explaining that the other day to a guy bragging he was qualified because he took the exam, he had no other qualifications, gasp!!!

Here Here, well said Trev, I tried explaining that the other day to a guy bragging he was qualified because he took the exam, he had no other qualifications, gasp!!!
Me and Julia went out the other week and got talking to a couple sharing our table, he claimed to be a well qualified sparky because he had 17th and DI certs. I was telling him how he knew very little and how it took me 4 yearsand loads of exams and site time before I classed myself as a spark all the while she was kicking my shins to get me to give the guy a break

I agree with you trev. It's a scary thought guys working alone with only a 17th edition certificate. Makes you wonder why anyone would do a full apprenticeship. Don't think the problem is as bad up here. Still get the guys claiming there a spark after working with one on the sites for a few weeks.

yep i think a lot of people think its as simple as just joining wires of the same colour together. makes for a nice firework show all the same :)

yep i think a lot of people think its as simple as just joining wires of the same colour together. makes for a nice firework show all the same :)

agree with you there.

would like to put them on door access. ok mate the cable has 2 black cores with 1 and 2 on it, what colour do you connect it to:bucktooth:

I agree with you trev. It's a scary thought guys working alone with only a 17th edition certificate. Makes you wonder why anyone would do a full apprenticeship. Don't think the problem is as bad up here. Still get the guys claiming there a spark after working with one on the sites for a few weeks.

At the end of the day a monkey that can read could pass the 17th exam. It's an open book exam with multi choice questions with 2 of the answers being completely stupid so at that its a 50% chance of getting it right. Even if you can find the right answers in the book it doesn't mean you understand any of it. Rant over.

Reply to Trainees, Electrical Trainee's in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock